Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Timer

jjjaroscak

Question

Okay, first timer with many dumb questions. I got one of flex polisher kits and plan on spending this weekend giving my 2011 Camaro a full detailing. (I don't have any stripes)

1. I only have the 7 inch pads so there are obviously areas I wont be able to get to with those. So should I still use the clay bar on those areas?

2. In the videos they stressed not using the flex at an angle, so how should I treat areas like the sides of the cowl on the hood that only a small section is slanted?

3. Can/Should I try to use the flex on the side view mirror housing?

4. Can/Should I try to use the flex on the lip in front of the headlights/grill?

5. I read the taping guide but besides the tape on the window, why is that corvette considered over taped?

6. Any tips for doing the roof of the car? I'm 6'2" but it does still seem like it could be a bit of a reach. (I also have a sun roof)

7. Besides from small scratches from dust in the wind my paint still looks pretty good (to me at least). Should I still start with the severe swirl remover?

8. Any other tips from other Camaro owners?

Thanks!

Edited by jjjaroscak

2 answers to this question

You should clay anywhere that does not pass the baggie test. You can remove any marring that may appear with FMP. You should be able to use FMP anywhere on the car, just be mindful of the backing plate and and the machine in tight areas.

Tape anywhere that could tear the pads (emblems, etc.) or dirty the pads (black trim, rubber window trim, sunroof gaskets, etc.).

You should not have trouble with the roof, but a step stool can be helpful for reaching the middle.

Always, always, always start with the least aggressive method - whether polishing or cleaning. Start with FMP on a 2x2 area, working until it flashes, then wipe and inspect. Does it meet your expectations - Yes, move on to the next section - No, do the section again with FMP. If there are still swirls move up to the SHR. Do a the sections a couple of times before moving up to the SSR. You will have to finish with FMP, and be sure to use the FMP in the 2x2 test area before deciding you need to do a 2nd go with SHR or before moving up to SSR.

1. I only have the 7 inch pads so there are obviously areas I wont be able to get to with those. So should I still use the clay bar on those areas?

2. In the videos they stressed not using the flex at an angle, so how should I treat areas like the sides of the cowl on the hood that only a small section is slanted?

3. Can/Should I try to use the flex on the side view mirror housing?

4. Can/Should I try to use the flex on the lip in front of the headlights/grill?

5. I read the taping guide but besides the tape on the window, why is that corvette considered over taped?

6. Any tips for doing the roof of the car? I'm 6'2" but it does still seem like it could be a bit of a reach. (I also have a sun roof)

7. Besides from small scratches from dust in the wind my paint still looks pretty good (to me at least). Should I still start with the severe swirl remover?

8. Any other tips from other Camaro owners?

1. Yes. Clay it everywhere if it's never been clayed. Mine (2010) had a lot of junk on it at delivery. Rail dust, fallout, etc.

2-4. I can't help you. I have a PC. There's lots of Flex guys here, though.

5. Taping is personal preference. I don't tape at all. I'd rather clean up the polish than tape and then still clean up the polish.

6. I'm 6' and have no problem doing the roof. It can be a workout but you'll be able to reach fine.

7. I'd be willing to bet that you don't need Severe Swirl and Haze unless your Camaro sat on the dealers lot for a while. Dealer are very adept at installing swirls.

8. Get the focus pads. You'll need to use them on a drill since they don't work w/ the Flex but they will get into all the tight areas just fine.

Take your time and enjoy yourself!