Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mount Everest

694doorbird

Pretty cool. I'd like to know what that long line of colored flags or colored clothes is that runs behind the yellow tents. Interesting. Never mind, I was just scrolled in too far. It's flags............all over camp.:2thumbs:

Depending on what camp this is, there should be a few bodies around.

Did you know when you die on the mountain, you are left there? They are set as milestones on the mountain and certain bodies have become very famous. Such as old green boots.

It is a bucket list item and very big dream of mine to climb Mt. Everest. I'd love to see the view in person at the peak and it (literally) would be breathtaking. The sad part is, it costs upwards of $75,000 to do it properly and I doubt I'll ever be able to afford something like that, so unfortunately I don't think I'll get to do it in this life.

Pretty cool. I'd like to know what that long line of colored flags or colored clothes is that runs behind the yellow tents. Interesting. Never mind, I was just scrolled in too far. It's flags............all over camp.:2thumbs:

I think the flags are there so one can find their way around when the snow is blowing and the wind howling...

They are prayer flags and are very typical and prolific in Buddhist communities where they are often referred to as Wind Horses. Each colour represents an element - red for fire, blue for the sky, green for water, yellow for the earth and white for the air. Each flag has a winged horse and prayers. Each time you string a set up in the wind - usually as a blessing or giving thanks, the wind catches the flags and the winged horse will gallop around the world delivering your blessings.

Here is a closeup: Prayer Flags at Everest Base Camp | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Depending on what camp this is, there should be a few bodies around.

Did you know when you die on the mountain, you are left there? They are set as milestones on the mountain and certain bodies have become very famous. Such as old green boots.

It is a bucket list item and very big dream of mine to climb Mt. Everest. I'd love to see the view in person at the peak and it (literally) would be breathtaking. The sad part is, it costs upwards of $75,000 to do it properly and I doubt I'll ever be able to afford something like that, so unfortunately I don't think I'll get to do it in this life.

When you zoom in around the camp, you can see several people there!!!

When we were in Alaska, we were told by the guide at Denali that Mt. McKinley is used as a training mountain for Everest. Even at that we were told that one must have climbed several cold weather, high altitude mountains before climbing Mt. McKinley.

They are prayer flags and are very typical and prolific in Buddhist communities where they are often referred to as Wind Horses. Each colour represents an element - red for fire, blue for the sky, green for water, yellow for the earth and white for the air. Each flag has a winged horse and prayers. Each time you string a set up in the wind - usually as a blessing or giving thanks, the wind catches the flags and the winged horse will gallop around the world delivering your blessings.

Here is a closeup: Prayer Flags at Everest Base Camp | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Never knew that, learned something new today :2thumbs: