Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay before polish?

ralphsmithiii

Question

I'm about to go round-2 on my paint correction and I was getting ready for the next step. Before I start polishing, I am under the impression that we are to clay the car.

My curiosity kicked in and I wondered...why? Is there a level of "roughness" that dictates a clay is in order if you are doing paint correction? Am I wrong in thinking that if I take my Flex and some compound (SSR, or FMP) to it that it'll knock down/off anything that a clay bar would as well?

I don't mind the extra step and I have both Adam's clay bar and tons of detail spray but I was curious as to the "why" behind both. I clayed my car a few months ago but it using the baggie test, it glides but I can feel what appears to feel like sand here and there.

Thoughts?

12 answers to this question

If you feel rough spots only in a few areas the flex or pc should get rid of that! But claying is done to get rid of surface contaminants that you get from the atmosphere, brake dust etc etc. it sure wouldn't hurt and I think you might be surprised what you take off even after you have done it once before. Some of contaminants in paint if sticking up can damage pads to a certain extent so my opinion do it your car will benefit before the polishing step!

OK. Should I hit it with IPA after clay and then after polish or just after polish? Adam's detail guide states to leave the clay residue on if it's not heavy and head right to polishing. However there is no recommendation (unless I missed it) about using IPA anywhere. That step was recommended in another post of mine.

Or, should I clay, rewash, then polish, IPA, seal, etc..etc..

Or, should I clay, rewash, then polish, IPA, seal, etc..etc..

This^

Put a plastic bag over your hand and feel the paint. If it is still rough, then you should clay again, if not, move on to the polish. The rewash is not required if you wipe off the residue.

Wash first or WW, then IPA wipe down, then clay. After claying you can go right over the clay residue and polish.:2thumbs:

Ok, that's something I don't think I've read yet. I've already got the car washed and did a strip-wash (used 2oz+/- of Adams all-purpose cleaner).

So your saying I should IPA before clay?

Ok, that's something I don't think I've read yet. I've already got the car washed and did a strip-wash (used 2oz+/- of Adams all-purpose cleaner).

So your saying I should IPA before clay?

If you did a strip wash you do not need to do a IPA wipe down. Go straight to clay.

Awesome. I'm heading into the garage now to get the claying done tonight. Tomorrow morning I plan on polishing the entire car then sealing it. Day after I'll hit it with brilliant glaze, then some buttery and see how it comes out. Right now it looks surprisingly shiny and clean after just a strip-wash. I'm assuming there's still some machine super sealant on there giving it the shine. I'm hoping to see a night-and-day difference after re-polishing, sealing, glazing (first time) and buttery wax (first time).

Your question about re-washing after claying...I was told by Adam that there is no reason to remove the clay residue, but I always do claying and follow that with Revive before moving on to paint correction. The Revive really does clean and prep the finish for whatever steps that follow. I really think using Revive before paint correction will give you an overall better finished product. I also really recommend using Brilliant Glaze before the wax, just because it will give an amazing finish after the wax. The Brilliant also has some cleaning properties that will just finish the prep work and really allow the wax to look it's best.