Customer Service 866.965.0400

First time Flexin with some issues.

Captain Awesome

Question

I used the flex for the first time this weekend and I am happy with the results, but I had a few issues with it. I did a few test spots to see what level of correction would be needed, so I ended up doing a combination 3-step and 2-step depending on the condition of the area I was working on. My concern was when I used swirl and haze remover. I would make maybe 2 passes and then it seemed like the polish was dying out. It looked like cheetah spots all over the panel. This was on speed 5 and 6. If I worked it slower than 4 it was nice and smooth coat of polish.

Now I believe this may be due to using too much product, but I don't know. I don't have any pictures because I didn't think to take any while I was working.

The other thing i noticed is that when I was using FMP it never seemed to flash. I also think this may be a result of using too much product.

What do you guys think?

16 answers to this question

I think next time you are having issues, please take pictures so that we can better assess the situation.

It sounds like to me you were using too much product. Always look at your pad before adding any more polish to it. If you can still see dried polish, snap off a couple rounds of DS to the pad, and re-energize the polish that's still there. What will happen when continually adding polish to the pad is that you will end up with a gummed out pad that won't be nearly as effective nor will it allow the polish to work.

Mook

I think next time you are having issues, please take pictures so that we can better assess the situation.

It sounds like to me you were using too much product. Always look at your pad before adding any more polish to it. If you can still see dried polish, snap off a couple rounds of DS to the pad, and re-energize the polish that's still there. What will happen when continually adding polish to the pad is that you will end up with a gummed out pad that won't be nearly as effective nor will it allow the polish to work.

Mook

I think this was my problem. The pads were really nasty with gunk by the time I was finished.

On the plus side it seems you spent some time going over your steps, always best to use the least aggressive step to get the finish the way you want. I find too many people hit the paint with 3 steps when usually 2 will get the job done while saving some clear so good job on doing it right.

generally polishing is going to happen in a range of setting 4 - 6 on the flex.

most commonly 5 or 6, but for some paint jobs it may become necessary to roll back to 4 when doing your last step (FMP)

it takes some playing around to find out EXACTLY what you need with your cars particular finish.

generally polishing is going to happen in a range of setting 4 - 6 on the flex.

most commonly 5 or 6, but for some paint jobs it may become necessary to roll back to 4 when doing your last step (FMP)

it takes some playing around to find out EXACTLY what you need with your cars particular finish.

FMP and 6 can be a fun ride if not paying attention. Haha

I haven't used the flex on m car yet. My first time was on this car. Took me around 13 hours to wash, remove pin stripes, wash again, clay, polish, seal, glaze, and americana. Last time I did my G8 I used the PC and it took me around 22-24 hours to do the same process, minus removing pinstripes and a second wash.