Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana and glaze question

Captain Awesome

Question

So I've read in several threads that Brilliant glaze will degrade Americana if it is applied over top of Americana. I can personally attest that this is true. This got me thinking how it seems to be the norm to apply glaze before Americana, which I also do. So my question is why does this not have the same effect, or if it does, why does it seem to degrade less when applied before Americana?

8 answers to this question

Good question, and pretty simple answer really.

Glaze has a solvent content when 'wet'... the solvent is what keeps the wax content of the product in suspension and liquified. The solvent evaporates very quickly and leaves behind only the wax and other components.

If applying to paint then topping with wax there is no active solvent content left, thus it can't impact the Americana.

If you apply it over the top though, the solvent content (while wet) will be actively trying to dissolve the Americana under it until it evaporates.

I've read elsewhere that after the second coat, you actually start to reduce the thickness. So I would say optimal is probably 1 coat of glaze and 1 coat of Americana (possibly 2). But I'm not a spokesperson for Adam's or anything, so anyone is free to correct me :)

I actually tried this yesterday. I already have a sealant, BG and Americana on my car. Yesterday, however, I put a coat of BG on top of Americana. Shine and depth was great, but I have to find out about durability.

seems legit :rockon:. I have one more question. What is the maximum recommended coats of the two and what is the recommended wait time in between coats?

1 coat glaze max... it doesn't stack.

2-3 coats of APW max... it really isn't something that needs to be built up, and at a point can actually start to have a detrimental effect on the shine as it will start to make the finish appear cloudy/uneven.

I've read elsewhere that after the second coat, you actually start to reduce the thickness. So I would say optimal is probably 1 coat of glaze and 1 coat of Americana (possibly 2). But I'm not a spokesperson for Adam's or anything, so anyone is free to correct me :)

if your going to stack coats of wax, wipe down the panel with ice cold distilled water before/after each application, especially if its hot outside. that way your not smearing the 2nd coat into the 1st.

if your going to stack coats of wax, wipe down the panel with ice cold distilled water before/after each application, especially if its hot outside. that way your not smearing the 2nd coat into the 1st.

I've heard that tip before, as it apparently does something to the solvents that makes them dissipate quicker.

However, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to use it because I don't really ever stack waxes.

I've heard that tip before, as it apparently does something to the solvents that makes them dissipate quicker.

However, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to use it because I don't really ever stack waxes.

I've done it once, on my wife's metallic white SRX. only thing i noticed after was the contact angle of the water beads was greater indicating better hydrophobic layer (more protection).

not really a need for the extra layer if the car is parked indoors and you make a habit of applying wax a few times per year.