Customer Service 866.965.0400

PAINT RESCUE: BMW X5d hack job recovery

Team Adam's

HAH! My neighbors black Acura RDX looks JUST like that. Hologrammed all to heck. It was done "professionally" before he bought it. He asked the other day how much I charge to detail......I was SOOOOOO hoping for that since it was hammered on bad by a hack. Sadly it was for his wife's pilot she's managed to scratch up.

Like always, great job Dylan!

Are you using the Rupes with the "washer mod"?

Nope. I do any and all tool testing stock as thats how we would sell it and how our customers would have to use it in order to be covered under our lifetime warranty. Modifying tools immediately voids the warranty as far as we're concerned so theres no need to test it or attempt it.

Wow! Great save! I didn't know BMW made a diesel SUV. Pretty cool ride.

Yep... don't think they're terribly common, but it is pretty cool. The little I drove it the thing has some grunt and gets moving pretty good.

Nope. I do any and all tool testing stock as thats how we would sell it and how our customers would have to use it in order to be covered under our lifetime warranty. Modifying tools immediately voids the warranty as far as we're concerned so theres no need to test it or attempt it.

Yep... don't think they're terribly common, but it is pretty cool. The little I drove it the thing has some grunt and gets moving pretty good.

What makes a tool so special if you have to spend all that money on it, THEN modify it to work how you want it? Seems backwards.

What makes a tool so special if you have to spend all that money on it, THEN modify it to work how you want it? Seems backwards.

People will spend hundreds on the Flex and then still oil the felt ring for the best results. I don't see that as any different. :cheers:

Plus, according to one of the designers of the Rupes, the reason that there is that anti-spin nonsense is for the target market in Europe (body shops). For people who use the Rupes in the US (ie we turn on our polisher after we put the pad to the paint), the anti spin really can be a hindrance.

Edited by ihaveacamaro

People will spend hundreds on the Flex and then still oil the felt ring for the best results. I don't see that as any different. :cheers:

Thats factory required/approved maintenance... a little different than cracking a machine open to make changes.

Thats like saying changing the oil in your camaro is the same as changing out your throttle body. One is maintenance, one is modification.

Thats factory required/approved maintenance... a little different than cracking a machine open to make changes.

Thats like saying changing the oil in your camaro is the same as changing out your throttle body. One is maintenance, one is modification.

Point ceded.

But it's not like you're cracking open the machine or really modifying it. All you're doing is taking off the backing plate, putting a washer on, and putting the backing plate back on. Takes less than 30 seconds.

To borrow off your analogy, it seems like this in my opinion.

A Camaro is meant to be a performance machine. It is sold with summer only tires. If it's winter and snowing, you put on snow tires. Doesn't affect your warranty, but sure as hell makes the Camaro more competent and viable for you in the snow.

The Rupes was made with european body shops in mind. Putting the washer on does not void the Rupes warranty, but it does make it more competent and viable for us.

Just my opinion, but as they say, opinions are like aholes, everyone has one and they probably stink :lolsmack:

Point ceded.

But it's not like you're cracking open the machine or really modifying it. All you're doing is taking off the backing plate, putting a washer on, and putting the backing plate back on. Takes less than 30 seconds.

To borrow off your analogy, it seems like this in my opinion.

A Camaro is meant to be a performance machine. It is sold with summer only tires. If it's winter and snowing, you put on snow tires. Doesn't affect your warranty, but sure as hell makes the Camaro more competent and viable for you in the snow.

The Rupes was made with european body shops in mind. Putting the washer on does not void the Rupes warranty, but it does make it more competent and viable for us.

Just my opinion, but as they say, opinions are like aholes, everyone has one and they probably stink :lolsmack:

Apples to oranges. You are replacing a like item with tires. Not adding a separate component as in the case of the washer. If you were replacing your tires with tracks, that would be a different animal.

Apples to oranges. You are replacing a like item with tires. Not adding a separate component as in the case of the washer. If you were replacing your tires with tracks, that would be a different animal.

Ok how about this:

A SUV has the capability to tow, but has no tow hitch. You add the tow hitch to tap into the SUV's inherent capability to move objects. The tow hitch wasn't there before and you added that component. You have now "modified" the SUV, but as a result, the SUV fits your needs better.

Ok how about this:

A SUV has the capability to tow, but has no tow hitch. You add the tow hitch to tap into the SUV's inherent capability to move objects. The tow hitch wasn't there before and you added that component. You have now "modified" the SUV, but as a result, the SUV fits your needs better.

Modified would be the correct word just as the washer modified the polisher.

Its a moot point anyways guys... we don't sell the rupes, maybe we will, but not currently. This is all testing, the fact that theres any kind of debate over what acceptable modifications for our warranty really isn't something that is a relevant discussion outside of our offices anyways.

Its a moot point anyways guys... we don't sell the rupes, maybe we will, but not currently. This is all testing, the fact that theres any kind of debate over what acceptable modifications for our warranty really isn't something that is a relevant discussion outside of our offices anyways.

Fair enough :cheers:

Did you use anything on the running boards to clean them up?

I can't seem to get mine to come out nicely...they always seem to a dull almost oxidized finish, but I don't believe they are bare metal.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice save Dylan.

Yep the rotary was in the wrong hands. Lol

That is one of the worst jobs I've seen in a long time using a rotary.

Seems he went way to fast with movement, speed too high and didn't keep his pad flat.

Best speed it 1800-2200 with slow movements , over lapping is key keeping the pad flat as possaible.

Again, great save.

Kevin

Edited by MrHot88

Eesh, that thing was bad - really hammered.  That 'detailer' was a hack.  I see stuff like that all the time around OC.  If the paint doesn't look new, you didn't do the job right.  I wince at all the Benzes around here sporting holograms.