Customer Service 866.965.0400

Diesels and DEF?

Dura13

Question

25 answers to this question

Anyone else have a newer diesel and have deisel exhaust fluid (DEF) "markings" in the engine bay?

What are you using to keep it clean?

Thanks!

Yeah, you do not want to spill DEF on anything - especially bare metals. If you do, you'll want to wash away with water before being allowed to dry. DEF is basically urea, and is corrosive for many metals including carbon steel, copper, aluminum, and zinc.

Edited by paoutdoorsman

I have never spilt any. I have a funnel that I use that is dedicated to DEF. If it dries it because like a white crusty material. Like was mentioned earlier rinse it off immediately if you do spill it. And be careful of where you put that rinse water. Not sure what vehicle you have, but I have a 2011 Duramax and there is a small hole right next to the fill tube that is kind of like an overflow that flows back in the DEF tank that is just open. Probably not a good idea to get water in there.

It's a 2013 Silverado with the Duramax. I've never had to deal with the DEF before, so looking for learn from others experiences.

I had not noticed the 'air' hole, so may need to find a way to 'manage' that, as I have the 'white crusties' all over the passenger side of the engine bay...

Just curious... My 2010 vw diesel doesn't require that stuff (happily), but I'm curious as to what it costs to refill these systems, and how often you have to do it?

This diesel being my first, I REALLY like diesel vehicles now. They'll be high on my list for any future motor, when available. :2thumbs:

Just curious... My 2010 vw diesel doesn't require that stuff (happily), but I'm curious as to what it costs to refill these systems, and how often you have to do it?

This diesel being my first, I REALLY like diesel vehicles now. They'll be high on my list for any future motor, when available. :2thumbs:

Rich it really isn't bad at all. It is amazing how much cleaner it is. The exhaust tip isn't all black and sooty. You can pick up the stuff at any auto parts store and I have found it to be around 10-13 bucks for 2.5 gallons. But it can be bought for 3 bucks a gallon from what I have heard at places. Never have seen that first hand however.

I have never run out and I have a 5 gallon tank on mine. They say it should be topped off at every oil change. I usually just keep it full. And pick up a jug here and there. It will give you warnings as it gets low and I have never seen that.

FAQ - discover Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Rich it really isn't bad at all. It is amazing how much cleaner it is. The exhaust tip isn't all black and sooty. You can pick up the stuff at any auto parts store and I have found it to be around 10-13 bucks for 2.5 gallons. But it can be bought for 3 bucks a gallon from what I have heard at places. Never have seen that first hand however.

I have never run out and I have a 5 gallon tank on mine. They say it should be topped off at every oil change. I usually just keep it full. And pick up a jug here and there. It will give you warnings as it gets low and I have never seen that.

FAQ - discover Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Interesting. My "clean diesel" vw has what they call a diesel particular filter that collects the higher soot generated at startup and then every few hundred miles or so heats up the collector and burns it off. Most of the time you're never even aware of it happening. The tailpipe of the car never gets dirty all. In fact, I've seen vw videos of guys covering the pipe with a coffee filter, running the car for a while, and then using the filter to make coffee (and drinking it!). I wonder which approach is simpler and more reliable?

Edited by MarylandTDI

I know the Duramax has that filter in conjunction with the DEF.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/SilveradoHD_DEF.pdf

You can see in my below picture how clean the exhaust tip is. Notice the inside of the pipe isn't all black. You can literally walk up to it while idling and there is almost no smell at all. And definitely not that usual diesel smell.

Truck006.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

In the newer systems with DEF, the DEF is used to generate the high heat necessary to burn out the particulate filter. In the earlier particulate filter systems, at least with the GM's, diesel was injected and burnt in the exhaust post turbo to generate the the heat needed to burn out the filter. The urea is just supposed to be an improvement over that original design.

In the newer systems with DEF, the DEF is used to generate the high heat necessary to burn out the particulate filter. In the earlier particulate filter systems, at least with the GM's, diesel was injected and burnt in the exhaust post turbo to generate the the heat needed to burn out the filter. The urea is just supposed to be an improvement over that original design.

2 Comments

robert beasley | February 14, 2012 3:40 PM | Reply

Does the Diesel Exhaust Fluid get injected into the exhaust during system regeneration?

Editor replied to comment from robert beasley | February 14, 2012 6:44 PM | Reply

For Diesel Particulate Filter regeneration, diesel fuel is injected into the exhaust system ahead of the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst to raise the temperature of the exhaust needed for regeneration.

The aftertreatment system, which reduces emissions, uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to react with NOx to convert exhaust pollutants into nitrogen, water and trace amounts of CO2.

Duramax Diesel Exhaust System Fluid Injectors - GM Techlink

I know the Duramax has that filter in conjunction with the DEF.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/SilveradoHD_DEF.pdf

You can see in my below picture how clean the exhaust tip is. Notice the inside of the pipe isn't all black. You can literally walk up to it while idling and there is almost no smell at all. And definitely not that usual diesel smell.

Truck006.jpg

Is that a picture of your pickup's tailpipe? If you polished it, how did you do it? It looks amazing compared to mine! I was thinking about painting mine black, but I really like the way this looks. Maybe I should just do the DPF delete and make it naturally black. :D

Is that a picture of your pickup's tailpipe? If you polished it, how did you do it? It looks amazing compared to mine! I was thinking about painting mine black, but I really like the way this looks. Maybe I should just do the DPF delete and make it naturally black. :D

You don't want to mess around with emissions stuff. ;)

Warm water cleans it off fairly well with apc mixed after it has dried, have to clean it off Mercedes Sprinter vans plastic grills and Freightliner medium and heavy trucks all the time at work, some people just cant pour a liquid without a mess.

Metal Polish 1 and 2. And that was it. Made sure it was clean of course before starting.

My brother ripped all the urea and DPF crap off his '12 Dmax. Runs much better and cheaper. I had an '06 LBZ without all the DPF junk and got much better mileage than his '12. You can thank our corrupt liberal government for the progression of ignorance toward diesel technology. Emmissions on a diesel and diesel fuel prices is a crime.

If you want to prevent urea spots in your engine bay, rip out all the DPF junk and make it run like a real diesel.

My brother ripped all the urea and DPF crap off his '12 Dmax. Runs much better and cheaper. I had an '06 LBZ without all the DPF junk and got much better mileage than his '12. You can thank our corrupt liberal government for the progression of ignorance toward diesel technology. Emmissions on a diesel and diesel fuel prices is a crime.

If you want to prevent urea spots in your engine bay, rip out all the DPF junk and make it run like a real diesel.

Thats fine as long as that emission police dont get you!:xfingers: Big NO,NO in Colorado!:confused:

I'm more interested in maintaining my 100,000 mile warranty, as we use the truck to tow. Not to mention the hassle of having to re-install it to get a emissions sticker...

:iagree: Straight 5'' only, you haven't heard a truck until you here a duramax with 5''. The EPA has way to much power.

:iagree: Straight 5'' only, you haven't heard a truck until you here a duramax with 5''. The EPA has way to much power.

My brother has an '01 with a straight 5"