Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine Super Sealant???

Spiceredm606

Question

Ok, so I know I am new to the whole Adam's products and I was just wondering if i do all 3 steps of the polishing do I really need to add the Machine super sealant if I plan on putting a coat of the Americana wax by hand?? Any help would be great. Thanks.

21 answers to this question

Depends on if it's a daily driver that sits outside or sees harsh elements and weather. Those are the types of cars that would benefit from Super Sealant. If it's a garage queen and/or only driven in good weather, Americana is what you want.

I would recommend it. MSS lasts much longer than Waxes. Sealants are better at protecting your corrections that you made. If you wash every week, you'll find yourself buffing more often.

I buff my truck 2-3 times a year and you can barely see the swirl marks when its time to do a detail.

Sealant would offer superior protection against the salt and sand during winter time. You won't get the face-melting "pop" that you would with a wax, but you will get more of a "warming glow". If the car is washed often, the sealant will also help protect against washing-induced swirls as Matt as mentioned. A coat of Machine Sealant lasts 6 months.

Americana offers good protection, and two thin coats of it will be almost as good as one thin coat of machine sealant. You will get a mirror-wet shine with Americana, but a coat of it lasts about half as long as the Machine Sealant.

If you only plan on buying one product, use this information to determine which scenario you'd prefer.

Both are outstanding products, and on my G8 (which sits outside 24/7/365) I have a coat of Americana on top of a coat of Machine Sealant. The Corvette has a garage and only comes out during good weather and when the roads are clean, so only wears Americana.

Hope I've helped

Edited by GerryC

Yep

Also, with the Sealant, there is a cure time of about 20 minutes before you should remove the residue. Basically, do the entire car, and by the time you finish you should be able to go back to where you started and start wiping.

With Americana (or paste wax in general) the cure time is very short, and the residue should be removed within a few minutes. Because of this, it's recommended to do only a panel or two at a time, ideally when the surface of the car is cool.

That's why you get it done now while it's still nice out, so the coat lasts you through the summer :D

I sealed/waxed the G8 last week, now it's just proper routine washing until the end of autumn when it gets another coat of sealant to prepare for winter.

OP, If you're looking for a product that's quick to apply and lasts an amazingly long time, use AQS. It's easy on, easy off, and last and lasts!

I don't even use a carnuba based wax on my DD. I see no reason to. I'm not entering it in a car show so why? On my GQ which my G8 will soon be, it'll be strait Patriot from now on. It'll sit inside more than anything so I could care less about longevity.

Chris

Maybe a newb question, but what's the disadvantage to sealant then? Besides the added time and effort to apply... Can it take away from the overall gloss & depth of the paint?

Not as much depth with sealants, and MSS can take up to 24hrs to cure before topping.

I used two applications of AQS to get me through the winter on my DD.

Yep

Also, with the Sealant, there is a cure time of about 20 minutes before you should remove the residue. Basically, do the entire car, and by the time you finish you should be able to go back to where you started and start wiping.

Might be dumb questions but is detail spray ok to use while removing the sealant reside after the 20-30 minute cure time?

If you laid the sealant down thin enough then you shouldn't need it, but for any spots that are stubborn, a light mist of DS on your MF towel will work perfectly fine :2thumbs:

I never tried to do it dry...I figured the DS would help the towel glide smother...i will do it without the detail spray next time, but good to know I didn't mess anything up by using the spray