Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana or Buttery

Performance Auto Detailing

Question

I'm sure this is asked all the time, but Americana or Buttery - or both...

I'm starting an on the side detailing business and was wondering what makes the most sense for me to be using? Buttery is obviously cheaper initially and easier to apply - but doesn't last as long on the car and I'm assuming doesn't get as good of a shine.  How many cars can I expect to wax with a bottle of Buttery vs a regular size thing of Americana? Or is it necessary for me to own both - and use them for different situations?

Any insight you guys have would be great. 

6 answers to this question

Buttery is less expensive, and easier and quicker to apply and remove, especially in direct sunlight. If you are doing your detailing outside rather than in a garage this may be a factor for you. A coat of Buttery Wax lasts about 4-6 weeks, offers decent protection, and in my experience you can do 15 full size vehicles with one bottle. The shine is better than every other liquid wax I have ever used.

Americana is more expensive, it is pretty easy to apply but must be removed within minutes of applying, otherwise it will harden and become difficult to remove without significant effort. This will make applying Americana more time consuming (do only 1 or two panels at a time) but the end result is definitely worth it. Ideally you would want to apply Americana in the shade and on a cool surface. A coat of Americana will last roughly 2-3 months, again depending on wash frequency, road conditions, etc. It offers better protection than Buttery as well as a superior shine. You can do about 50 full size vehicles with a tub of Americana. 

When you do the math, the cost per application of both waxes is nearly identical.

So it all depends on what you expect to be doing. I use Buttery on client's cars who just want a basic wash and wax. If they want to spend the extra $$ for polishing or anything else, I'll use Americana so it protects, lasts, and shines better.

Please note that even though I've associated "shine" with wax in this post, the majority of your vehicle's "shine" will come from polishing. The more evenly level the clearcoat is, the more intense the shine will be. Wax is mainly a protection layer, however it does have optic qualities since it can "bend" the light as it hits your car, which can intensify the shine.

I am with Gerry, you may want to offer both.  Buttery for the basic Wash & Wax, Americana for folks that want to pay for it, or if the car is more deserving of it.  Like this one:Mar02021_zps656f01a2.jpg

I wouldnt bother with the buttery. You might as well pick up some OTC stuff if your wanting to offer a cheaper wax option. Americana goes a long way and your customers will appreciate it, I say go with it and skip the kiddie wax.

If you are waxing in the sun, then the choice would be buttery.  If you can keep the paint cooler 45-85 degrees then you can consider Americana.  The other thing you might consider is Quick Sealant. Lasts for months.  Temperature forgiving.  Very reflective.  Not the same look as wax, but still a good look, and tough coating for a DD to have.