Customer Service 866.965.0400

determining wheel finish..

crazycody93

Question

So before I order my wheel cleaner, I tried to look up what my wheels finish are, but the information isn't available on the manufacturers website, or the distributors. So I was wondering if anyone here had any tricks to being able to tell the difference between a painted and powder coated wheel? any input would be great

13 answers to this question

I would think most modern wheels would be powdercoated rather than painted for durability sake, but contact the manufacturer to be sure. And if it makes you feel any better, Green Wheel Cleaner is safe for almost* all wheel finishes. :2thumbs:

*NOTE: Not recommended for uncoated polished billet aluminum wheels.

Edited by Redbeard

so they're either painted or powdercoated? don't worry about it, DWC and GWC work on both. treat them just as you would the paint on your vehicle.

or you could do what i do when my wheels aren't that dirty, keep a solution of car shampoo and water in a foaming spray bottle, and use that to clean them up!

Excellent! well it'll be my first experience with the DWC, anyone have any specific advise? my rotation is due in a couple hundred miles so I was debating taking them off to get the backs pretty easily

Most wheels from the factory, on stock cars and trucks are CLEAR COATED.  Treat them just like paint.  Billet is a different animal.  Powdercoat is a little different also. 

Best way to tell if they have clear coat on them is to take a polishing towel with a dab of polish on it, and rub the CLEAN wheel.  If the towel turns black, you have no clear coat, and need to stay up on polishing and protecting them.  If the towel doesn't turn black, you more than likely have clear coated wheels.  Treat them like paint.

If nothing else, CALL the wheel manufacturer.  They should be able to tell you what they did.  If not, keep demanding to speak to someone there that actually knows about they product they make/sell.

Mook

Most wheels are still traditional liquid paint. If they are cast aluminum aftermarket wheels, chances are they are made in China or Taiwan, and they most definitely are liquid painted. Powdercoating can cost as much as cast wheels cost to pop out of a mold, whereas paint is cheaper and more forgiving (they can 'fix' minor imperfections before they leave the factory).

You only really encounter the powdercoated stuff if you go to a forged one-piece or three-piece wheel, and even then only the US-made stuff. The Japanese and Germans are still painting wheels - there are reasons for this, which would require its' own blog.

Care and feeding are the same, though. Minimize abrasive polishes and acidic cleaners. I like Adam's Car Wash because it is pH balanced and, to be honest, all that is needed to remove moderate grime and brake dust. Of course, we don't have much in the way of rain or harsh elements here in CA...

Edited by WheelMaker

Most wheels are still traditional liquid paint. If they are cast aluminum aftermarket wheels, chances are they are made in China or Taiwan, and they most definitely are liquid painted. Powdercoating can cost as much as cast wheels cost to pop out of a mold, whereas paint is cheaper and more forgiving (they can 'fix' minor imperfections before they leave the factory).

You only really encounter the powdercoated stuff if you go to a forged one-piece or three-piece wheel, and even then only the US-made stuff. The Japanese and Germans are still painting wheels - there are reasons for this, which would require its' own blog.

Care and feeding are the same, though. Minimize abrasive polishes and acidic cleaners. I like Adam's Car Wash because it is pH balanced and, to be honest, all that is needed to remove moderate grime and brake dust. Of course, we don't have much in the way of rain or harsh elements here in CA...

I always enjoy your insights Bob!  Thanks for posting. 

Lots of good info! I really appreciate it, and yes, my wheels were cast overseas, when I inquired about the finish apparently its some exotic tri stage that the company isn't sure anyone does in the States? But I believe he is wrong.. I talked to a wheel repair guy once who told me about the scion wheels have a special silver with a black base that is special to it.

Unfortunately here in Oregon it rains a lot. And in the last 5 thousand miles, I haven't gotten a good wash on the wheels yet, so in the morning while I have the wheels off for a rotate, now that I got my DWC I'm going to give them a really good washing