Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clearcoat soft or medium or hard

jpu471

Question

11 answers to this question

The only way to tell is by workin on different cars with the same products or techniques and seeing what the difference was between them.

For example:

You use "polish A" on a Jeep Wrangler and do 3 passes. You Wipe off the residue and notice no real improvement and need to maybe increase the aggressiveness.

Again you use "polish A" on a Subaru and do the same 3 passes. You wipe off the residue and your paint looks perfect and don't need to do anymore steps.

From this example you can determine that the Subaru you worked on has a softer clear than the Jeep you worked on.

If you use a fine/finishing polish and you get results from it then you can determine that it may be on the softer side and if you don't get results then it may be on the harder side.

Also remember that just because someone may say their 2003 BMW M3 in Laguna Seca Blue is hard doesn't mean that a 2003 M3 in Jet Black is also hard.

So my point is that from year to year, color to color and car to car a manufacturer may have different clear coat hard/soft levels.

Annoying? Yes, but that what makes it fun :).

what about a 2004 Tahoe and a 2013 Sierra?

Not sure about the Tahoe but the Sierra will be soft. I love correcting my 2011 Silverado since its easier than most others I deal with.

Been seeing you gathering a lot of info lately here and on GMFS. With all the advice you've been given you should be ready to go. Time to hit that "Place Order" button.

Not sure about the Tahoe but the Sierra will be soft. I love correcting my 2011 Silverado since its easier than most others I deal with.

Been seeing you gathering a lot of info lately here and on GMFS. With all the advice you've been given you should be ready to go. Time to hit that "Place Order" button.

I am 99% ready,..Already have my shopping cart filled out...I am going to wait a day or two and just make sure that there isn't some Father's Day sale before I place my order...on such a large chunk of money if they did a 15% off for Father's day it will be worth the wait for sure!

Now just to convince myself the Flex is 100% safe for me since I am a newbie

There are a few certainties out there... one being corvette clear is notoriously hard, most all of the new lexus stuff is soft. 

Like others stated, it just comes down to experience - you'll know soft clear right away b/c it will damage easily, but correct just as easy. Hard will seem to laugh at you while you try to correct it. 

And then laugh some more while you being crying.

Great points and advice given ahead of me. When you do order, make sure to get the detailer's tape and swabs. The latter I absolutely use the ever living out of!

Mook