Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chrome polishing advice

randyfox

Question

Couldn't quite find what I was looking for when I performed a search, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I was hoping some of you that have detailed older cars with lots of chrome trim could give me some pointers on how you polished it? I imagine a lot of masking is done to avoid hitting the paint with MP, but are you doing this prior to polishing the rest of the vehicle? Also, i was curious about polishing the more intricate pieces such as lettering. The bright work on the 55 needs love along with the rest of the car, but I wasn't quite sure how to tackle it. Thanks in advance!

9 answers to this question

I have used the 4" pads ona drill with good results..just took my time and taped the areas around it off. also get great reults by hand with a microfiber aplicator. And the letter and smaller stuff is just a paint lol..They do make foam polihing swabs that are similar to the buffing pads that work great for stuff like that. Much better than a q-tip

Hey Jonathan, I appreciate that! It may sound insane, but the Focus Pads didn't even cross my mind. I definitely need to add them to my arsenal regardless, this just seals the deal for me. The script on the front fender is actually chrome as well so I would need to polish them the same as other pieces. I will look into the polishing swabs though, sounds like they might be the ticket!

I am thinking that it would make more sense to polish all of the bright work first before moving on to the paint. Has anyone else found this to be the case as well? I know off hand that JBlack151 has polished a lot of older cars with lots of chrome, so I am hoping he jumps in here at some point! :D

Edited by randyfox

Check the swabs out for sure along with the 4" pads! then just take your time and get the wow results with metal polish 1 and 2. I have found quick sealant to work best for keeping it protected. whenever I do a detail I do all the trim and metal before moving on to the paint. no matter if it is rubber or metal trim

Thanks you two, very helpful advice. Searching through all of my new goodies my wife bought me while I was gone, I do have some of those swabs already, which will help greatly with the script and some other tight spots on the chrome. I did have to replace the two badges on the hood and trunk as they were pretty pitted and would never polish out. Should be able to get those installed next weekend along with the trunk lock.

Sorry, I have been up to a few other things lately. I did, and I appreciate it. I think I am going with what I have on hand for now. If that doesn't yield the results I am after I will have to adjust fire. Thanks!