Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mechanic/Car Guys Assistance Please

xkwj43z

Okay I have a 2011 Mazda 3s (2.5L) with 48,000 miles, and I am having a problem with starting my vehicle again after not letting it warm up completely. For example I will start my vehicle, back it out of the driveway and pull it back into the driveway not allowing it to warm up completely. I can come back 30 mins. later to start it again and it will take 3-5 seconds of cranking to get it to start or it won't at all. In that case I just re-try starting it and it will start again at that point. Normally it just starts no problem within a second. I've noticed this for about the past 2 months now, any ideas on what the problem would be?

You say "again", what was the problem before? Any check engine light present? I would check the condition of the spark plugs and see if they are getting fouled out. Starting your car and immediately driving it is hard on your engine IMO. Just curious, why would you start it, back out, then drive back in the driveway and shut your car off? I always allow my cars to "warm up" before driving them. Good luck.

No check engine light. By again I mean for instance I would leave to go to the store at that point, backing it out would be because sometimes I have to move my vehicle to get others out of the driveway. Warranty is only left on the powertrain right now

Edited by xkwj43z

What part of the country are you located? Does it have any temperature extremes, hot or cold during the year?

This is going to sound crazy, but the first thing I would do is have the battery load tested by a trust mechanic or reputable parts store. Most O'Reilly Auto Parts, Autozones, and Pep Boys will do it for free. The reason I suggest this is because newer vehicles are extremely power dependent and sensitive. As such, batteries reach their life expectancy much more quickly than they did years ago. A few amps less than optimally required can make a vehicle do some weird things.

What you are describing sounds very similar to the condition my wife was experiencing with her '09 Rav 4. What was happening is that the in-rush current required by the starter and fuel pump draw combined were not allowing the ECM to get enough power to quickly calculate the fuel/spark requirements at start-up. Once the in-rush for the starter lessened, the ECM would get just enough power to adjust and then the car would start, 3-4 seconds. Replaced the battery and it fires immediately, every time.

I'm not much of a Mazda tech but I would think either a fuel pump issue or injector problem. Does it crank but not start when this happens?

Yes it cranks but takes about 3-5 seconds of cranking to start, which isn't normal

What part of the country are you located? Does it have any temperature extremes, hot or cold during the year?

This is going to sound crazy, but the first thing I would do is have the battery load tested by a trust mechanic or reputable parts store. Most O'Reilly Auto Parts, Autozones, and Pep Boys will do it for free. The reason I suggest this is because newer vehicles are extremely power dependent and sensitive. As such, batteries reach their life expectancy much more quickly than they did years ago. A few amps less than optimally required can make a vehicle do some weird things.

What you are describing sounds very similar to the condition my wife was experiencing with her '09 Rav 4. What was happening is that the in-rush current required by the starter and fuel pump draw combined were not allowing the ECM to get enough power to quickly calculate the fuel/spark requirements at start-up. Once the in-rush for the starter lessened, the ECM would get just enough power to adjust and then the car would start, 3-4 seconds. Replaced the battery and it fires immediately, every time.

I can for sure check before I take it into the dealer

Edited by xkwj43z

Next time this happens try turning the key to the RUN position for a few seconds then try and start the car.  That will allow the fuel pump to run and build pressure before you actually try starting it.

+1 I had to do this to my LS1 camaro every now and then.  

Next time this happens try turning the key to the RUN position for a few seconds then try and start the car. That will allow the fuel pump to run and build pressure before you actually try starting it.

X2 and let us know what happens