Customer Service 866.965.0400

Grit Guard moving

EPHIOS

Question

18 answers to this question

Nope.  A spinning grit guard won't do a great job keeping the dirt trapped on the bottom.  The "fins" of the guard should be flush on the bottom of the bucket, and it shouldn't move when you rub a pad/mitt on it.

There are a couple of tricks that could help with a guard that is loose.  One of these is to use zip ties on the outer edge to eliminate space between the guard and inner wall of the bucket.

For some reason some people have issues with this.  I too had this issue.  I took cable ties (plastic ones) and wrapped them around the outer part of the GG and it seemed to keep it from moving.  

I use a 5 gal bucket from a home improvement store.  The grit guard is too big for it, but it slides down to almost the bottom.  If you push it down snug...it won't move and is still easy to get out.

I just bought a bucket from Lowes and I cannot get the Grit Guard all the way down. I will be returning the bucket.

I just bought a bucket from Lowes and I cannot get the Grit Guard all the way down. I will be returning the bucket.

Correct, it doesn't go all the way down and that is why I like it.  I can wedge it down so it doesn't spin.  To me, the grit guard is much more effective when it doesn't spin.

Anybody know where to buy 5 gallon buckets, other than from Adams, that are semi-transparent?

I found one at Lowes that had graduated markings on it.  It came from the paint section.  The only problem was it became brittle after spending several summers in the garage.  The Adam's bucket lives there too, but no issues with it.

I was under the impression that the grit guards lock in the adams buckets?...is this true??

That would be pretty cool...but they don't lock.  They just sit freely in the bottom (I have the older small sized bucket).

My grit guards do not even hit the bottom of my two Adams 5 gal buckets. it doesn't spin but again they do not sit flush with the bottom of them. It was no issue with the old 4 gal bucket.