Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing a brand new car

OkaloosaST

Question

I'm a severe newbie to polishing. In fact, I know absolutely nothing. The question is do I even need to polish my brand new car? When is it appropriate to polish? If I clay and wax only is that a waste of time if I don't polish it while its brand new and doesn't have a bunch of miles yet? Btw, my car is tuxedo black. Thank you!post-10872-0-40717700-1376469192_thumb.jpg

Edited by OkaloosaST

7 answers to this question

Most likely your car did not come perfect from the factory and polishing will be necessary if you want a perfect finish.  Here is a pic of a brand new car just seconds after I took the wrappings off of it, meaning I was the first to see it since it left the factory.  

IMAG1993_zpse75fdb64.jpg

^^^AGREE^^^  My new RAM came so badly ruined from the factory that I HAD to polish the paint.  I spent 4 hours washing and claying it, only to find that it needed polished to see the true potential.  You have to make the decision on your own really.

Using something like Revive will clean the paint before sealing it.  

Completely up to you.  If you see swirls/marring in the sun, or by putting halogen/LED lighting on the paint, then polish.  If the dealer hasn't "prepped" it and you got it straight from the factory, the paint could be in good condition.  (Although the above examples show that this isn't always the case.)

Lucky for you (or unlucky) is that your car is black and it should be incredible easy to spot any paint damage.  The decision to polish or go straight to sealant/wax from claying is really up to you and your standards.

Wow thanks to all for your advice!! This forum is a gold mine for me. I'm learning so much. I have the essential car kit on the way and also purchased another bucket, the premium mit, and the leather kit. This weekend I plan to begin my therapy, lol. I will check out he paint after the clay and see if I need to polish. All I will have is the hand polish though. Thanks again for the great advice. I had no idea a brand new vehicle could have such imperfect paint... Blows my mind.

Edited by OkaloosaST

Wow thanks to all for your advice!! This forum is a gold mine for me. I'm learning so much. I have the essential car kit on the way and also purchased another bucket, the premium mit, and the leather kit. This weekend I plan to begin my therapy, lol. I will check out he paint after the clay and see if I need to polish. All I will have is the hand polish though. Thanks again for the great advice. I had no idea a brand new vehicle could have such imperfect paint... Blows my mind.

I didn't drive my RAM for 2 weeks while I got it up to par.  It was brand new ordered from the factory.  It sat in Warren MI for 5 weeks while they did some inspections on it and it was SO covered in acid rain it's not funny...  My truck was GRAY!