Customer Service 866.965.0400

Not much luck with Leather Cleaner/Conditioner....need advice for try #2

cammyfive

Question

A few weeks ago, after buying my '09 Acura TSX from the dealership, I began the process of detailing the interior with the Adams Leather Cleaner & Conditioner I bought. The black leather seats are in "good" shape as they aren't cracked or torn but I wanted to clean/condition them for a soft/matte/new finish since the dealership apparently slathered the whole interior in ArmorAll!! I got mixed results and I think I applied too much conditioner as the seats looked blotchy afterwards. I've read some of you guys use the conditioner applied by your hands....how much does it typically take to do a normal seat? Also, as far as using the leather cleaner and conditioner on the interior (soft and hard plastics) is it safe to use it with the horse hair brush to really get them super clean and get the dealership armor all off?

Any help would be appreciated as far as advice with this Adams product as my first try was kinda frustrating. To help, this is (part of) what I orderd and should be here Tuesday.

*Adams Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Kit (already have)

*Adams Utility Towels (5)

*Adams Carper Cleaner w/scrub brush

*Adams Glass Cleaner w/ glass towels

*Adams Single Soft MF towels (already have)

7 answers to this question

If it were me I would go over everything again with the leather and interior cleaner and agitate real good with the interior cleaning brush or similar.  And wipe dry with a clean microfiber.  And make sure all the Armor All is removed.  Then re-apply the Conditioner.  Heavy isn't always best.  IMO, several thin applications is going to work better than one heavy application.  I have always applied the leather conditioner with a foam block.  I then go back later and knock down any residue with another clean microfiber. As far as the horse hair brush I would say your good to go.  A horse hair brush is what Adams sells as the leather and interior cleaning brush.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-420-adams-leather-interior-cleaning-brush.aspx

Don't get frustrated.  Lots of people here to help.

Edited by LFairbanks

I always feel dumb asking this but want to make sure I get it right, 10 parts straight APC for every 1 part water?

No, 1 part APC to 10 parts water.  For some reason, dilution ratios seem to have been flipped in the detailing world.  Active ingredient normally comes first, but most of the time you will see water come first with detailing products.

my best opinion will be one I tried on a whim and works great for me, go to local store (home depot for me), and pick up those mr clean erasers.  Get home and cut each bar into thirds (saves product), and as you coat the surface with Leather Cleaner go along with the eraser (loaded with product), and work it in, has cut through the toughest of anything I have been handed.  Little APC helps as well, and go snag a few applicators for the leather conditioner.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-379-adams-premium-interior-dressing-applicators.aspx

These get down in cracks nicely and have been my go to for a long time now.