Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint etching on a 2009 Acura TSX in crystal black pearl

cammyfive

Question

A couple of weeks ago, another member of the forums here (also an Adams dealer) took me under his wing and tutored me on machine polishing for the very first time (used the Flex). It was very rewarding and following his lead we got 95% of the zillions of swirls out and the blue metallic in the paint absolutely pops now coated with Patriot.

The only nagging issue that remains is what appears to be acid rain or water spot etching on the hood and roof, not isolated but pretty much covering them consistently. We started out using the Flex with the orange Microfiber pad and Paint Correcting Polish #1 but actually had much better results doing a one stage with the white foam pad and just Paint Finishing Polish #2 after fighting with the first step for an hour or so. My questions are these....

1) Now, with the Acura paints being quite soft, is there a recommendation as to a specific polisher/pad/product combo to try to remove the etching? I'd like to try a recommendation like that before going to wet sanding.

2) If wet sanding is the only option to remove the etching (he'll be doing that as I have zero experience) what products/pads will be needed afterwards to polish the sanding marks out?

11 answers to this question

How about a teaser of the actual etching??

I'm not really sure why you guys had limited sucess with the microfiber pad and Correcting Polish - on an Acura that combo should have eaten any etching for breakfast.  What was the working time with the MF pad & correcting polish?  Something doesn't add up here...

Not sure if is related, but I know many Civics of the same year and color had paint issues on the hood, roof and deck lids. In fact my wife's was fixed recently under a recall. May as well see if anything has been issued on the TSX.