Customer Service 866.965.0400

which size pressure washer best for cars?

alenv10

Question

or troy built 2700 with briggs and strartton engine?

Stay away from anything troy built, it's pure junk.

Briggs and Stratton = AKA Briggs & Scrap-Iron, enough said.

The 3 units that were linked here, I wouldn't pick any of them. The Generac's have knock off engines on them, labelled as Generac engines. We sell Generac generators at my work and they are total garbage. Warranty claims are an endless process with a lot of declines. Parts are hard to get, and quality is very low.

If I absolutely had to pick one of those 2 units, it would be this one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_378396-24212-6022_1z0zc6q+2z8vp__?productId=3558804&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=$200%20-%20$400

Why? Because it is an OHV engine, and the engine looks like a rebranded Subaru engine to me. Subaru makes a very good small engine. Not to say it is one, but sure looks like one. At least it is a horizontal crankshaft which gives you a lot of options in the future if you need to replace the pump.

The pump on that thing is still junk really, rated for about 300 hours. It's better than a vertical shaft homelite though.

Edited by LaserBlueSilverado

so if you HAD to pick between my homelite and the generac 2700 you would do the generac?

what about generac 2700 vs generac 3100?

you think same subura engine?

What I don't like about the Generac 3100 is the engine. To me, it looks like a pure chinese engine. It looks unlike anything I have seen before. The closest resemblance it brings to my mind is to B&S engines from about 10 years ago.

If I had to pick between your homelite and the Generac 2,700, I would take the Generac. With a horizontal crankshaft engine, it is very easy to bolt on a new pump, and go to work, should the original fail. There are tons and tons of choices on the market for 3/4 inch keyed horizontal shaft engines. Vertical shaft engines on the other hand are extremely difficult to source pumps for. Do you ever notice how cheap pressure washers are maintenance free? High end pumps have oil that requires changing. Low grade pumps are grease filled, or come pre-filled with oil, and sealed. The reason they are maintenance free is because the pump won't last long enough to degrade the factory oil! The pump will be garbage long before the oil will get dirty.

Also, vertical shaft pressure washers tend to have weird shaft sizes, which makes sourcing a replacement pump even more difficult.

I should add this. If you do buy a pressure washer that has an oil filled pump that is serviceable, DO NOT PUT CAR ENGINE OIL IN THE PUMP! Not just any oil will do. It MUST be NON-DETERGENT, straight 30 weight. Air compressor pump oil will work as well.

My honest personal opinion is to get your cash back from the Homelite, and buy a good unit and charge the remainder to a VISA if you have to. Not to encourage debt, but if you buy another disposable unit, eventually you WILL have to buy yet another pressure washer. If you buy a good one now, you are actually further ahead financially speaking. You won't need to buy another one a few years from now.

Ultimately it is your decision and your budget, I just try my best to make sure people are educated when it comes to purchasing. Nowadays we have to work a LOT to make little money. Money is too hard to make to buy low quality items every few years.

Here has been my experience that I learned early on in life, when buying tools.  I always buy what I really want, because I eventually do that after buying something that I think "will get me by".  And it ends up costing me more money than if I would have bought it to begin with.

well i am going to buy the generac 2700 and hope that it does good for 2 years or so, by then i will probably buy a $1000 one anyways.  just want something that will last for about 2 years.  You said that the pump on the generac will last about 200-300 hours which is actually quiet a bit, much more than needed

I returned the homelite, now lets say i do go ahead and spend the extra money and buy a $600-700 one, what should i get?

i want to stay close to 3000 psi.. its only for my car.

i know that a triplex pump is what i want and what kind of engine do i need?

longevity wis?

4-5 years is what you make it seem like those expensive ones can do

Just because it is a top seller doesn't mean it's the best. It's simply what people buy the most of, which is cheap stuff.

My suggestion for you is one of these three:

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Pressure-Pro-E3027HG-Pressure-Washer/p1509.html

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/BE-PE-2565HWSCAT-Pressure-Washer/p10198.html

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Pressure-Pro-E3027HC-Pressure-Washer/p1508.html

The middle link is actually the company who trained and certified me for pump repair. They are the ones my company buys pressure washers from and parts from. It's a company called BE Pressure.

Honestly, any one of those will last you a long time provided you don't overheat it. Like I said, don't go longer then 30 or 40 seconds without pulling the trigger for at least 10 seconds after that. This will go a LONG WAY in extending your pump life. If you need to move something, shut the unit down and start it again when your ready. The few extra seconds that takes you is easier then opening your wallet for a new pump.

Unfortunately I do not see anything on that website with an external unloader in your PSI range. Don't worry though, if you ever needed an unloader repair kit and couldn't find one, I could get you one from work and send it to you. Should you ever want a pump with an external unloader and any kind of extras like pressure gauges, I can custom build you a pump and ship it, or try and show you how to do it and mail you the parts.

Edited by LaserBlueSilverado

These are my two options from where i live..

would the prosumer with the triplex pump be a good one? last about 5 years?

i went to the store and took pictures.  pump and engine

both have OHV 212cc engines

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Generac-6024-Pressure-Washer/p6546.html

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Generac-5993-Pressure-Washer/p6362.html

post-10983-0-67420900-1384912465_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-94800200-1384912471_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-35335900-1384912475_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-92991500-1384912478_thumb.jpg

post-10983-0-67504700-1384912483_thumb.jpg

Just because it is a top seller doesn't mean it's the best. It's simply what people buy the most of, which is cheap stuff.

My suggestion for you is one of these three:

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Pressure-Pro-E3027HG-Pressure-Washer/p1509.html

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/BE-PE-2565HWSCAT-Pressure-Washer/p10198.html

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Pressure-Pro-E3027HC-Pressure-Washer/p1508.html

The middle link is actually the company who trained and certified me for pump repair. They are the ones my company buys pressure washers from and parts from. It's a company called BE Pressure.

Honestly, any one of those will last you a long time provided you don't overheat it. Like I said, don't go longer then 30 or 40 seconds without pulling the trigger for at least 10 seconds after that. This will go a LONG WAY in extending your pump life. If you need to move something, shut the unit down and start it again when your ready. The few extra seconds that takes you is easier then opening your wallet for a new pump.

Unfortunately I do not see anything on that website with an external unloader in your PSI range. Don't worry though, if you ever needed an unloader repair kit and couldn't find one, I could get you one from work and send it to you. Should you ever want a pump with an external unloader and any kind of extras like pressure gauges, I can custom build you a pump and ship it, or try and show you how to do it and mail you the parts.

what do you think of the 2 generacs i put up?

one is consumer and other is prosumer with triplex pump..

is it still not good enough and not spend that money  for it? just get the 3100 generac axial pump and save 200

The Prosumer model has a AR pump on it, I recognize that manifold.

AR pumps are made in P.R.C, Peoples Republic of China! They are basically one step above the lowest quality out there.

DEFINITELY do not buy the unit in the bottom 2 pictures. That is a either a Karcher pump, or a disposable AR pump built for big box stores. It is a sealed unit and won't last you long.

If your stuck on buying something in your area and this is the best you can get, get the prosumer model. At least it is a Triplex design.

so you think the triplex pump one will last me a good 3 years? 

thanks for all the help chester... if engine failer were to occur would i be able to buy a new one and put it on myself?

for example honda 190

so you think the triplex pump one will last me a good 3 years? 

thanks for all the help chester... if engine failer were to occur would i be able to buy a new one and put it on myself?

for example honda 190

Don't let the pump run in bypass, which is with the engine running and trigger not pulled, for more than 30 seconds, and yes you should get a good 3 years out of it. Your not using it commercially so it shouldn't explode on you haha.

Engine failure is highly unlikely in comparison to pump failure. However, if the engine does fail, do not put a Honda 190 on it. That is a GCV engine, which I told you to avoid. If that engine failed, I would get a much better pressure washer all together. That cart design is crapola in my opinion.

okay, i will just do this for now and thanks for educating me, never knew so much came into play with pressure washers.

so when i do use it, and i am going to exceed the 30 seconds just turn off the engine? 

can you also write me up a good winter store away? because i will be using it before the store it this year

The problem with electrics is they have no real power.

It takes a lot more electrical HP to produce the same PSI as a gas engine with lower HP. So, for example, with a GX200 Honda making 6.5 HP, it can crank out about 2,500 PSI, maybe a bit more, at say, 3 GPM. If you want 2,500 PSI out of an electric, we are talking a minimum 7.5 HP electric motor pulling no less then 32 amps on a 220 circuit. 

Gas pressure washers can be used almost anywhere you have water, with the exception of confined or enclosed areas. Electric units that have any real cleaning power need 220 volt circuits, and sometimes 3 phase 460 volt. Only industrial areas and big shops have 3 phase power.

I will try and get a winter write up done sometime soon. We are very short handed at work right now, missing 3 people which is 50% of our staff. No guarantees on when I will have the time to make a write-up.

It's true an electric pressure washer will not produce the same power as gas, however I'm strictly using mine for detailing and at 1600 psi it definitely gets what's needed done for me. Another satisfaction I have with mine is mainly I'm detailing classic/vintage cars and a higher psi could relate to damage to my clients pride and joys.

And for using a foam cannon I couldn't be more pleased with the results. With straight up shampoo I get a good foaming out of it, but when I want that shaving cream style foam I simply add a little Waterless Wash in with the shampoo and BAM, there you have it.

I don't know what others are using as far as psi on their vehicles, but 1400-1800 is plenty. If you want to clean you deck or strip off anything then the extra psi is your ticket.

The problem with electrics is they have no real power.

It takes a lot more electrical HP to produce the same PSI as a gas engine with lower HP. So, for example, with a GX200 Honda making 6.5 HP, it can crank out about 2,500 PSI, maybe a bit more, at say, 3 GPM. If you want 2,500 PSI out of an electric, we are talking a minimum 7.5 HP electric motor pulling no less then 32 amps on a 220 circuit. 

Gas pressure washers can be used almost anywhere you have water, with the exception of confined or enclosed areas. Electric units that have any real cleaning power need 220 volt circuits, and sometimes 3 phase 460 volt. Only industrial areas and big shops have 3 phase power.

I will try and get a winter write up done sometime soon. We are very short handed at work right now, missing 3 people which is 50% of our staff. No guarantees on when I will have the time to make a write-up.

Okay sounds good. I went ahead and bought the prosumer generac 3000 with the triplex pump.

i can tell you that this is one heavy *** and big *** pressure washer lol

I was checking my local craigs list I found a Karcher 120 Volt, 10 Amp, 1500 psi, 1.3 gpm pressure washer for 50 bucks will this wash my car and run a foam cannon? I would like to get the thick foam.

I have a karcher X series 2000 PSI I think 1.4 GPM.  Its OK.  If you want real thick foam get a unit with a higher GPM like in the 2+GPM range IMO.  

With what you described you'll still get better foam than a foam gun for sure.