Customer Service 866.965.0400

Italian Grandma

Rich

For Adam and all us Gumba's. This was both of my grandmothers AND my mother! If you're Italian................you'll understand.

THE ITALIAN ELBOW

An Italian grandmother is giving directions to her grown grandson who is coming to visit with his wife.

"You comma to de front door of the apartmenta. I am inna apartmenta 301 .

There issa bigga panel at the front door. With you elbow, pusha button 301.

I will buzza you in. Come inside, the elevator is on the right. Get in, and

with you elbow, pusha 3.

When you get out, I'mma on the left.

With you elbow, hit my doorbell."

"Grandma, that sounds easy, but, why am I hitting all these buttons with my elbow?

"What . . . .. .. You coming empty handed?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

'ey how yous guys doin?

italy.gif

I was raised to believe that eating pasta on a paper plate was sin, all 4 of my grandparents were born in Italy unfortunately three of them passed away before I started high school. My mom makes amazing sauce, but she always says her sauce never comes out as good as her mothers did, she never used recipes or measuring spoons, everything was added by eye, and she never tasted it in the pot to make sure it was coming out right. That's something i wish I could have been able to experience, but at least I have stories like that to hold onto

Do you still refer to sauce as "gravy"? I remember that being something my ex always said to remember when speaking with her grand parents.

Sauce is what comes in the Chefboyardee cans. Gravy is what you put on fresh pasta and your mother has been simmering all of Sunday morning with meatballs, pork and fennel sausage, brasholi,and rolled pork skin.

The best smell on Sunday morning before church, the good old days.:thumbsup:

simmering all of Sunday morning with meatballs, pork and fennel sausage, brasholi,and rolled pork skin.

we still do that from time to time. I make sure to find out in advance so I can take that Sunday off from work :drool::drool:

'ey how yous guys doin?

italy.gif

I was raised to believe that eating pasta on a paper plate was sin, all 4 of my grandparents were born in Italy unfortunately three of them passed away before I started high school. My mom makes amazing sauce, but she always says her sauce never comes out as good as her mothers did, she never used recipes or measuring spoons, everything was added by eye, and she never tasted it in the pot to make sure it was coming out right. That's something i wish I could have been able to experience, but at least I have stories like that to hold onto

Eh, how you Do-in Gerry!? Did you create that little Gumba with the flag?

All 4 of your grandparents came from the Old Country Gerry, 'That-sa Nice!' (I'm only a half-breed, but if someone asks, "I'm Italian!")

My Dad's parents were born here, but their parents came from Sicily, a little hilltop town called, 'Gesso' between Barcelona and Palermo.

My grandmother made some amazing 'Gravy' as well, in the same style as yours Gerry. Pinch of this, a bunch of that, then let it cook all weekend for Sunday dinner. Their house in Hammonton, NJ smelled like 'Gravy' just about always. :drool:

Grandfather was a short, short-tempered man, just like the textbook definition of the genuine article. He was raised to speak English, and discouraged from speaking Italian. Becoming 'American' was key.

This photo was taken at my Grandfather's 85th birthday party. (Naturally, held at the Elks Lodge.)

How about the nose? Trademark of the Gumba heritage!italy.gif

Sauce is what comes in the Chefboyardee cans. Gravy is what you put on fresh pasta and your mother has been simmering all of Sunday morning with meatballs, pork and fennel sausage, brasholi,and rolled pork skin.

The best smell on Sunday morning before church, the good old days.:thumbsup:

:lol: I love it! Right you are Anthonyitaly.gif

I'm not to far, you mind me joining you one Sunday.:D

Hop on the ferry and come over, I'm right on the southern ct shore in new haven

Eh, how you Do-in Gerry!? Did you create that little Gumba with the flag?

I'ma doin alright. I threw it together real quick in animation shop. If you need me to take care of that thing just let me know. I got connections..:glasses:

All four of my grandparents imigrated from Italy........Sicily to be exact. I have my grandfathers papers and found his reference on the Ellis Island site. Both families had a mess of kids so I had tons of Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins growing up. My mother was the oldest of the 5 kids and on Saturday nights the whole family including the aunts, uncles, and cousins would come to our house and eat, drink wine and just sit around the kitchen table and talk. Then when we kids got older and started to get married we were still expected to be there on Saturday night and on Sunday after 10:30 mass we had to go to "grandma's" for pasta. That's all my kids knew on the weekends. But it was good. They grew up surrounded by family. My mom has been gone for almost 10 years now, but what is happening is that now our kids are showing up here for pasta once a week.

Life is good.italy.gif

Jason, we need to add this smiley.....permanent!

I tried searching through that site before but I can only locate my mother's side. My grandfather on my father's side was one of ten ("they didn't have TV back then so you needed to do something to keep busy") and they didn't all come over at once, so the spellings of some of their last names are different than mine. My grandfather always mentions the part in The Godfather II when young Vito comes to America and the guy at Ellis gives him a new name.

Edited by GerryC

All four of my grandparents imigrated from Italy........Sicily to be exact. I have my grandfathers papers and found his reference on the Ellis Island site. Both families had a mess of kids so I had tons of Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins growing up. My mother was the oldest of the 5 kids and on Saturday nights the whole family including the aunts, uncles, and cousins would come to our house and eat, drink wine and just sit around the kitchen table and talk.

Then when we kids got older and started to get married we were still expected to be there on Saturday night and on Sunday after 10:30 mass we had to go to "grandma's" for pasta. That's all my kids knew on the weekends. But it was good. They grew up surrounded by family. My mom has been gone for almost 10 years now, but what is happening is that now our kids are showing up here for pasta once a week.

Life is good.italy.gif

Jason, we need to add this smiley.....permanent!

Hey Rich, you ever go back to the Old Country to have a look around?

Hey Rich, you ever go back to the Old Country to have a look around?

No. The only time I've ever been out of the country was when I was in the Navy. Some place I always thought I'd get to visit, but life got in the way. I know that's where you proposed to your lovely wife, isn't it? By the way, that's a great picture of Luca..........the last one you posted with her big, gorgeous smile. :thumbsup:

No. The only time I've ever been out of the country was when I was in the Navy. Some place I always thought I'd get to visit, but life got in the way. I know that's where you proposed to your lovely wife, isn't it? By the way, that's a great picture of Luca..........the last one you posted with her big, gorgeous smile. :thumbsup:

Spending a little time there will make you feel even better about your heritage! italy.gif

We were there in '07, when I proposed in Lake Como. Amazing! Before that, I spent about a year there while in college, back in 1996. Learned to speak Italian then, and was back a few times in that decade.

Since we are talking Italy:

Edited by Adam

My parents were both born in the old country in a small town south of Naples called Nusco. My wife was also born there she came over when she was 4.

No kidding Anthony!? Napoli is wonderful, one of my favorite places in Italy!

Some of the countries best food, and wildest people come from Naples too. Do you fit the description? :lol:

We hope to get back and visit the Amalfi Coast next trip, maybe 2010 or 2011.

Have you been back lately?