Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question regarding wool mitt vs knobby mitt?

mtnbiker326

Question

Hello Adam's forum...

I have a question.

What are the reasons why you would choose the wool mitt over a knobby hand mitt.  (for the sole purpose of washing the top (and only the top) 1/2 of the car?

I am referencing Adam's wool mitt against any knobby mitt, like the one pictured below.

post-11488-0-79585700-1396587731.jpg

I know the quality will be better, but as far as application goes for cleaning the top 1/2 of the car, what are the real differences or advantages of the wool over the knobby?

13 answers to this question

That knobby mitt will not cause swirls (smh). Geez it's amazing what people say on here.

Quality wash media and good technique will prevent swirls, whether it be wool, microfiber or foam.

There's a simple reason why you would use a wool mitt on the top 1/2 of the car , it's because it's the most expensive and delicate wash media so you want to use it on the least soiled areas of the car. The other type mitts are more "disposable" so they get used on the lower halfs and dirty areas.

There are some high quality knobby microfiber mitts out there. If Adams sold them, the two responses above would have been way different.

Just my $0.02.

Chris, mitts like that are generally frowned upon because there are so many junk-quality ones out there. They are usually what you would find in big box stores and auto parts stores.

If you take the time to search out one that is high quality, then they are a perfectly fine option for washing. If you find/found one at the local Auto Zone....I'd save that one for cleaning plastic fender liners. ;)

Chris, mitts like that are generally frowned upon because there are so many junk-quality ones out there. They are usually what you would find in big box stores and auto parts stores.

If you take the time to search out one that is high quality, then they are a perfectly fine option for washing. If you find/found one at the local Auto Zone....I'd save that one for cleaning plastic fender liners. ;)

+1 - perfectly said.

That knobby mitt will not cause swirls (smh). Geez it's amazing what people say on here.

Quality wash media and good technique will prevent swirls, whether it be wool, microfiber or foam.

There's a simple reason why you would use a wool mitt on the top 1/2 of the car , it's because it's the most expensive and delicate wash media so you want to use it on the least soiled areas of the car. The other type mitts are more "disposable" so they get used on the lower halfs and dirty areas.

There are some high quality knobby microfiber mitts out there. If Adams sold them, the two responses above would have been way different.

Just my $0.02.

+1 - perfectly said.

THAT.

Maybe I stand corrected then... It then seems that I only used cheap knobby mitts in the past then, because they swirled from day one despite thorough cleaning and care. The ones I bought were from local stores, but were not cheap. But it might also be due to the nature of that mazda clear, like Mook once said, if you just sneeze ... it swirls!

And no, just because Adams sells a product doesn't mean I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I do think it is just backed up by the best customer service and support. There are products I have tried and didn't like or think were that good, and many of those are now gone from the Adams store.

I like deeper fibers for the dust and dirt to settle into with my wash mitts or pads personally.  I found the "knobby" mitt lacking in suds retention as well.  NO, I didn't try every single one on the market, and I personally don't care for the true wool mitt or pad either.  I prefer the synthetic fiber "wool" pads that are sold here and I'm sure elsewhere.  I make sure they're clean and brushed out and a couple of pads can last me a season.  

It really comes down to personal preference. 

I like deeper fibers for the dust and dirt to settle into with my wash mitts or pads personally.  I found the "knobby" mitt lacking in suds retention as well.  NO, I didn't try every single one on the market, and I personally don't care for the true wool mitt or pad either.  I prefer the synthetic fiber "wool" pads that are sold here and I'm sure elsewhere.  I make sure they're clean and brushed out and a couple of pads can last me a season.  

It really comes down to personal preference. 

I agree they do lack in the sud retention department as compared to some other wash media.  Since I use a foam gun (when I do two bucket washes), Im not as concerned with the suds as much as softness and durability.

I agree they do lack in the sud retention department as compared to some other wash media.  Since I use a foam gun (when I do two bucket washes), Im not as concerned with the suds as much as softness and durability.

That's why I love the Adams wash pads. They work great and for less than $20 you can pick up another set. I don't worry too much about how long they last (within reason) because they're inexpensive to replace.

For what its worth, if I did not currently use the Merino mitt in conjunction with the wash pads, I would probably use a chenille type "knobby" mitt as you guys call them, and I actually might get one soon, there are some quality ones out there, you just have to know where to source them, this mitt is cuff-less, high quality MF chenille "knobby mitt", and is a whopping $8.  As Camaro2ssblack already stated, PROPER WASH TECHNIQUE AND PROPER USE OF THE 2 BUCKET METHOD IS REQUIRED to avoid swirls.  Hell, I bet most of us experienced detailers can avoid swirling with most big box store items just because we have proper technique, but we choose not to use those medias since we prefer higher quality options.

autofiber-zerocuff-web.jpg

I actually may pick this up on my next order from my MF supplier, for my X5 and my wife's Rav4, I usually use 3 wash medias.  Merino mitt for the roof down to the door handle line, Adam's wash pad (jumbo or regular) for the door handle line to the bottom of the doors, front bumper, and top of the rear bumper, and a cheaper mitt or sponge such as this for the lowest part of the rear bumper, the lower rocker panels and lower plastic trim pieces/mud flaps, etc, since my wash media used on that absolute lowest portion of the car does get the underside of those pieces and inherently does contact the extremely dirty underside of the car from time to time.

For winter washing, I retire my merino mitt and just use 3 Adam's wash pads, jumbo for top, and regulars for the bottom, and I usually toss the oldest "regular size" in the spring.  The wash pads are cheap enough I buy a jumbo and a regular each year.  One time I dropped the jumbo on my driveway, I didn't even bother to try to clean out the little pieces of asphalt, I just chucked it, like clay, if you drop your wash media on the ground, in my opinion it should be replaced.

As stated above, my only problem with these are they don't have a deep fiber for the dirt to get pushed back into and away from the paint.  I for one clean a vehicle with concrete dust and sand on it.  I work across the street from a plant and there's NO getting away from it.  I like the mitts with longer fibers.  No matter how much foam or soap you have, you still need a deep knap.  

These "knobby" mitts do do a better job at cleaning faster though, but that's understandable with their short knap.  

I gleaned all this from my very unscientific testing.  I still have a long reach wand that uses the "knobby" style pad for the top of my P/U truck.  I don't care about the truck though.  It's my DD and I don't have time to care.  

Thank you all for your input.  I was just wondering as some respected detailers I have heard of, talk about the "knobby" mitts and I wanted to hear from the horses mouth (you all) what the consensus is on these.  I, for one, LOVE the synthetic pads and will be looking at sourcing an Adam's wool mitt here soon.

Edited by mtnbiker326