Customer Service 866.965.0400

Prep After Polish Before Sealer

GratefulDiver

Question

So I just finished a light polish with some Menzerna 4500 and wasn't sure if I should wipe off the body with a 1/1 mix of isopropyl/water mix to be sure all the polish is gone. For what ever reason I always have You want to try to do that alignment sat?to remove the polish haze by hand (to much polish on pad?) so I wasn't sure if I should take that extra step to be sure the sealer has a true naked paint to apply the sealer. Machine sealer btw

Thanks

Edited by GratefulDiver

12 answers to this question

Many people use diluted IPA to wipe down panels after polishing to prep for sealant. Others use WW, and some don't use anything. Personal preference. I like to use WW because it helps reduce static charge on the surface so dust doesn't cling when you're laying down your protection.

Because I have a perfectly good bottle of Menzerna that will do the exact same thing. Sorry I'm not going to throw away all my supply's just so I can use 100% Adams. Thanks for the reply though

Great answer.

IMO if you are truly wanting to strip the surface of the Menz polishing oils before applying sealant, you will need to do a strip wash, IPA wipedown, or use a dedicated product for removing oils like Eraser.

I personally don't think it would make a huge difference and you would run the risk of marring the paint during the extra step if the clear coat is soft. I would probably skip it this time and see of you notice any Haziness or premature failure of the sealant. Then you will know for the next detail...

Is the safest alchohol wipedown a 50/50 mix of distilled water with 70% alcohol? Should it be diluted even more to be on the safe side? The color is ruby red metallic on a 2014 mustang.

For a guaranteed strip I would use a paint prep polish.  That IMO is the best way to ensure you have a squeaky clean surface with no residue.  Second choice would be a product like Eraser or Panel Wipe.  Last resort for me is IPA.  

By paint prep polish, do you mean like the "Revive" polish? I plan to do everything by hand. Wash,clay,revive,liquid sealant,brilliant glaze, Americana. Just wanted to know about alcohol wipedown after the glaze; needed or recommended and at what mixture %. Thanks.

By paint prep polish, do you mean like the "Revive" polish? I plan to do everything by hand. Wash,clay,revive,liquid sealant,brilliant glaze, Americana. Just wanted to know about alcohol wipedown after the glaze; needed or recommended and at what mixture %. Thanks.

Revive will remove polishing oils BUT i dont know if the Revive itself will leave residue itself.  I have a "coating prep polish" that doesn't leave anything behind and it leaves the surface squeaky clean.