Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather Repair

liquidred

Question

I am at a lost over this one. I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and its been cleaned with Adams since it was brand new. The leather on the passenger seat was always a little stiffer than all the other seats just on the lower part. The other day I was cleaning it with Adams Interior Cleaner which was diluted and it took off some of the coloring. I have used it millions of times on this leather before but, apparently this time it cleaned a little to much and took the color off. I never had any leather problems before but, can this just be dyed red again or do I need to get the entire seat redone? I do not want to dump a lot of money into it but, everytime I get in the car I constantly have to look at it. Please let me know if there are any solutions for something like this. Appreciate the help. Thanks.

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

7 answers to this question

I'm in the the leather repair and refinishing business, from looking at the pictures your seat can be redyed. What I have noticed in my 12 years of being in the business, is that red leather seems to be more delicate than any of the the other colors, it doesn't matter what brand of car. My guess is that it has something to do the red pigment used to dye the leather. I can clean red leather seats with a mild soap cleaner that we use (not an Adams product) and 99% of the time I will get some red on the rag used to clean the seat, just be very gentle in your cleaning and I wouldn't suggest using a brush unless it's needed, the color on your seat was probably starting to get thin from previous cleanings and finally wore through in those areas. I don't know where your located but you could check to see if the company I work for has someone in your area that could take care of that for you www.creativecolorsintl.com

I appreciate the help. I tried the damp microfiber towel and it did not do anything. I actually put some Adams Leather Conditioner on it. Somewhat hides it a little better to keep me from looking at it.

I appreciate the help I think I am going to try out www.creativecolorsintl.com as Matt recommened. I am in Chicago and apparently there is one 3 miles away from me. Will take it there and see what they say. Appreciate the help and advice.

Besides the Dakota, we have a Pontiac G6. I assume the material is similar in those two vehicles. I used a DYI product called leather magic. I just gave them my interior code and they matched the dye for me. I was repairing the back seat. There is some prep work involving lightly sanding the area. That had me a little nervous. It ended up working fantastic and you can't tell where the repair was made. However, for such a small area the professional would most likely end up being the better option. Just thought I would throw that option in the mix though.

You should report back your repair experience.