Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wrx polishing adventure

13dgmwrx

Well to start off, here is a couple shots of my car. It may look really good in pictures and in person. Also, has a lot less scratches in it then most daily driven cars, but there are plenty that I know are there haha

20140411_143356_RichtoneHDR_zps2krnxz02.

facebook_-658330763jpg_zps8d2840ee.jpg

Here is my ccollection, got it nice and organized the other day.

20140612_181619_zpsasnyjyog.jpg

20140612_181626_zpsomnmf67p.jpg

20140612_181631_zpst8ej9duj.jpg

Everything fits nicely :)

Decided I would practice on the hood. I practiced with the upper passenger corner of it since there was a noticeable scratch in the clear from my own car key :(... (I was scraping snow and ice off the windshield and I had my keys in my hand that was holding the scraper and when I did the lower section of the windshield, the key hung down far enough and caught the hood... I wanted to cry... A little haha)

I then did the whole hood, started with the orange foam and correcting, followed with the finishing and white foam. Then hand applied buttery on it since my sealant and glaze hadn't shown up yet. I'll strip wash the car later and do the whole car with a full 5 step. But for now, learning the Griots machine went very well. Got all scratches out and learned how much pressure it needs to work well with what speed.

20140612_170725_zpszqrkuntr.jpg

I will update this thread as I go along with the car.

Thanks guys. I really can't wait to get started on the whole car. Just got my sealant and black pads yesterday. Waiting on my other package to come in with the glaze and red pad.

Looks good!

Chris, I see that you suggest applying the glaze over the finshing residue. Should I wipe off the residue after I apply the glaze, then do sealant? Or can the sealant be applied over top of the glaze/finishing residue?

That's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure. I wouldn't have gone through with doing that unless someone said otherwise. Could I do another layer of glaze after the sealant and before applying the wax?

Sealant should go on bare paint, after polishing. Cure time depends on which sealant you are using. MSS, needs to set up for 30 minutes before wiping off the residue. LPS, ~10 minutes. QS residue can be removed almost immediately. I would put the glaze on after sealant, and then wax. If you are using MSS, you need to wait 12 hours before layering anything on top, and you'll need to give the car a wipedown beforehand. LPS, only about 30 minutes before layering, and QS can be layered almost immediately.

Sealant should go on bare paint, after polishing. Cure time depends on which sealant you are using. MSS, needs to set up for 30 minutes before wiping off the residue. LPS, ~10 minutes. QS residue can be removed almost immediately. I would put the glaze on after sealant, and then wax. If you are using MSS, you need to wait 12 hours before layering anything on top, and you'll need to give the car a wipedown beforehand. LPS, only about 30 minutes before layering, and QS can be layered almost immediately.

Thanks for the detailed answer!! I am using the liquid paint sealant. Well I have seen that Chris suggests to do a layer of glaze over the finishing residue to aid in ease of removal and reap the benefits of the glaze. That was why I asked about doing glaze again on top of the sealant, but I believe I will just do buttery over the LPS.

Edited by 13dgmwrx

If you were to forgo sealant, then using BG in the manner he suggested would be a good time saver. Since sealant needs to actually bond to the surface (as opposed to glazes and waxes which just sort of sit on top of it) you should ideally have nothing between the paint and the sealant.