Customer Service 866.965.0400

Side trim leaks water

Vito 56

Question

I have a 2012 GMC pickup.  The side trim on the right front door, which prevents door dings, fills with water when I wash the truck.  It will then drip water for at least 30 minutes after washing, or 15 minutes if I try and blowing air into the molding.  It will leave a water stain if I don't keep wiping away the water.  I brought my truck to the dealer who initially told me that there was nothing wrong with the molding.  I again explained that it was filling with water.  They later told me that they spoke with GMC and was told that the moldings were designed that way.  I told them that could not be true as the other three moldings were not having this problem.  After receiving several other excuses, the problem still exists.  Has anyone experienced this problem with the water constantly dripping from the molding?  Any ideas on how to stop it?

14 answers to this question

yep!!  08 GMC Sierra.  Mine drips but not that bad.  i take the blaster sidekick to it after a wash to try blow as much out as I can but it still drips water...but not as much as yours.

You don't want to hear this but only way to fix it is remove the trim.  It looks pretty good without it

Jeff

My 2011 GMC crew cab driver rear door drips like you are describing.  It will keep going for a couple hours. I have a master blaster that helps but I don't always use it unless I know I need to drive the truck soon after washing.

I pulled my side molding off my Colorado about 3 years ago. I'm pulling my dads Silverado molding off this weekend. It holds water like crazy.

Easy to remove and gives a better look. I used a heat gun, fishing line and Goo Gone to remove mine. You will obviously need to polish and wax after doing so to blend the paint and fix the damage you do.

Before With Molding:

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

After Removing the Gross, Discolored, Rubber Molding:

DSC_0479.jpg

PhotoMay2545731PM.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

What your describing is normal.  Why the other sides aren't doing it as you claim, I have no clue.  All my vehicles with trim on the doors collect water.  The adhesive tape that attaches the trim to the door is like a double sided foam tape.  So it will act like a sponge and hold water.  I have a Master Blaster and don't have the issue when using it.

The reason why certain ones accumulate water and others do not is caused by the position of the double sided tape. Sometimes the tape is closer to the edge making it impossible for water to pool behind them it. Sometimes the tape leaves a small gap that water sits in. 

Take them off. It'll look better.

(For other people reading this that have F150's, some trim on F150's have holes behind them. Beware.)

Kingsford, I have to agree with you that it does look better.  But I think it helps prevent door dings from others that don't care or don't pay attention.  I know having the trim pieces have saved me more than once.  And I can park where I think I will avoid them and someone will still park next to me.

Redneck, I thought about removing the trim.  But, I thought because it was two years old, there may be a difference in the paint color.  The truck is black. 

you will be ok in removing the trim, paint color will match.  I had an 01 sierra with the dark gray and removed the z71 stickers about 4-5 years after I bought it, paint color was fine.

I thought about the silicone too. I mentioned that to the dealer but they said they could not do it.

I really like the moldings for the door dings. I park far away from everyone.  But, it always seems that someone thinks that is the start of the parking line and then park next to me.

I may go ahead and take off the moldings. Kingsford's truck did look very good without the moldings.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Vito