Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is the 4" backing plate works with GG 6" orbiter?

landshark

Question

As title said.  I want to use Adam's 4" foam pad with my GG 6" polisher, so I'm wondering if their 4" backing plate is all I'll need??  Don't want to spend the money for a GG 3" polisher, you know.

Thanks. 

8 answers to this question

Yes you can, although their 4" plate is 2 7/8" diameter so in my opinion it's a bit smaller than I'd like for 4" pad use.

I prefer a 3.5" backing plate with 4" pads personally, but yes the Adams 4" machine plate will work with their 4" pads on your GG6

Or where could I get the 3.5" backing plate?

A 3.5" backing plate won't work with their foam pads because of how they are constructed. You will need a 2-7/8" backing plate and it will fit perfectly. (unless they are different now--I bought and tried their 4" pads maybe 2 years ago or so)

If you're using their MF pads then a 3.5" backing plate is ideal like Ricky Bobby mentioned. You will have to go elsewhere for that, but both companies that manufacturer a majority of polishing pads on the market make 3.5" backing plates.

Bkazzle is correct (and thank you for clarifying) I was speaking of the MF pads.

The MF pads work better with a 3.5" backing plate (I have a Lake Country but BnS also works) in my experience, the foam pads work best with a 2 7/8" plate because of the "self centering ring" which takes up some space on the back of the pad.  I don't use Adam's 4" foam pads I use a different type by the same manufacturer which works great with my 3.5" plate.

the foam pads work best with a 2 7/8" plate because of the "self centering ring" which takes up some space on the back of the pad.

The self centering rings are scary! Because they are the same height as the hook and look material on the pad, it creates less of a grip between the pad and the polisher. I had one come off during finishing, was putting very little pressure on it and it just flew off. I stay far far away from pads with rings on them. 

Edited by Kingsford

The self centering rings are scary! Because they are the same height as the hook and look material on the pad, it creates less of a grip between the pad and the polisher. I had one come off during finishing, was putting very little pressure on it and it just flew off. I stay far far away from pads with rings on them. 

Jason, how old was the backing plate?  How about the pads?  Using with a drill or polisher?  If they were both relatively new and the hook and loop was still strong, it's possibly you could have gotten a bad plate.

We have hundreds (probably thousands) of them being used, and the failure rate on them is next to zero.

Jason, how old was the backing plate?  How about the pads?  Using with a drill or polisher?  If they were both relatively new and the hook and loop was still strong, it's possibly you could have gotten a bad plate.

We have hundreds (probably thousands) of them being used, and the failure rate on them is next to zero.

Pad was a little older but barely ever used, this happened last year. I was using my PC 7242 around speed 4. The backing plate is the same 4" plate I had been using, but I only use my PC for 4" pads and rarely use it. When it happened I looked around the internet afterwards and some people said that this has happened to them with pads with centering rings. I also believe one article was from Adam's but referring to why the plastic ring was taken off of the larger pads.