Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel wells on new Jeep

sbulla

Question

Our new Jeep has a coating in the wheel wells that feels like a really rough carpet or maybe fiberglass? Not sure what it is but I think it is there as a sound insulator. How would you clean those and what product to use that won't damage whatever is under there? Thanks

19 answers to this question

wife's 2012 cherokee has the same carpet/fabric type wheel wells.  Think jeep did this definitely for sound reduction and road noise.  Haven't found a great way to clean them yet, i just hose them down for a few minutes until the water runs clear.  Have seen someone mention before to brush them off when dry, but didn't seem to work that great.  Haven't tried the power washer on them yet, i'm sure that would clean them good as long as u don't get too close with too much pressure.  Hopefully someone has a quick/easy solution

Wife's 2005 Volvo XC70 has it in the rear fender wells and my 2013 Chevy Malibu has them on all four corners. It's for sound deadening. I use a short and stiff bristled, nylon brush and brush them when dry before hitting them with the hose, then rinse them with water until the water runs clear. Follow that up by spraying them with APC and scrub with a Fender Brush then rinse again until the water runs clear.

Chris, The material isn't actually carpet and it's made to take some abuse. Think about it, the manufacturer has placed it in the direct path of most all the road debris the tires will kick up to deaden sound. Carpet is just an easy term used to describe the stuff.

My wife's Volvo is nine years old with 87,000 miles on it. I've been cleaning the inner fenders and the "carpet" type material as I'd described above almost every time I wash it. The stuff shows little to no wear.

IMG_6635resize_zpsc33db4be.jpg

Edited by BRZN

I perfectly aware that it isn't carpet.  I used that term very loosely.  But it is some sort of fiber material.  Yes, it is designed to take some abuse.  Let me put it another way.  Your carpet in your house is designed to be walked on.  Now if you took a brush and used that to clean it, I would think that it would deteriorate the fibers rather quickly.  Although this example is on a different scale.  

I know it is a wheel well that is designed to take some abuse from road debris.  But to scrub on it with a brush IMO will lead to eventual failure.  Yes, I'am certain that it will take a lot but I would think eventually the fibers would break down from being scrubbed. It isn't plastic, it is a fiber material.

If you took a T-shirt and scrubbed on it with a brush to clean your going to wear it out rather quickly.  Where as if you just hosed it off it would last much longer.  Again a different example on a different scale.  But the same concept.

I may not be explaining it very well, but I'am sure someone understands my perspective.

Edited by LFairbanks

We bought the car used in Feb of 2007 with 22,000 miles on it. Conservatively, I figure I've washed the car once a month since owning it. That's 89 months and 65,000 miles, 89 times I've scrubbed the sound deadening material on the rear inner fender plastic liners using the method I described above. The picture I'd posted above shows the material, with no visible wear.

I'd tried all kinds of different ways to clean it Shelly, a soft or long bristled brush just wouldn't remove grass like debris.

i use APC and the pressure washer,  (my SUVs has all 4 wheel wells completely covered in this material)  I still spray with Undercarriage Spary to keep stuff from sticking.

Edited by stirthepot