Customer Service 866.965.0400

Aftermarket hood: paint it or leave it be?

Mysticine

I bought a ZR2 hood for my '06 Z06 and had it installed today...  I have never been a fan of cars that have different colored or carbon fiber hoods, but didn't get this painted yet.  I would like to get some feedback.

Leave the carbon fiber showing, or paint it black to match?

z06scw22.jpg

at first, I was thinking it looked like crap...paint it.  but then decided to look at the larger pic and noticed it looks different due to the sun!

My thought process, how much will it cost????  i'd say live with it for a little bit and you might come to like it.  If so, probably saved $1000+.  If you don't like it, paint it

Thanks for the replies!

The hood definitely looks better in person.  I can't explain it, but the picture makes it look odd...  almost like the pattern is too much for the camera to process.  It looks like any other carbon fiber weave.  I think I will leave it for at least a few weeks, but ultimately I am thinking I still want it painted.  If there were just a few carbon fiber accents I think I would prefer that, but the entire hood in CF is just a bit overkill to me I suppose.

Love that hood. Came close to buying that hood and still considering it. I have a GS and ended up purchasing a hood from a corvette forum member that was already painted black. Not real happy with the fit on my car. How was the fit on that one? Have any more pictures? Different Angles? Haven't found to many black vettes with that hood. 

My plan was to paint and leave some areas of the carbon exposed. Mainly the center section near the windshield. I have seen some others painted that way (on the similar ZR Hood) and it looks good.

I plan on taking more pictures this weekend after the car has a fresh detail.  :) 

I'll take various angles and underhood shots.  I haven't given it the full inspection yet, but it appears to fit nicely - seems to go with the body, no unusual gaps or differing heights.  The hood required holes to be cut in it in order to close (hooks/struts next to the bumpers near the windshield).  It took the shop about an hour to do it. 

I was browsing the corvette forums and saw a picture of the hood and really liked how it looks.  I ordered it back in July.  It took longer than expected (through no fault of the vendor), but was well worth the wait. 

Now I'm debating keeping the stock hood since I know most buyers prefer the clean stock look...  and I also have a nice Z06 hood liner that I can't use.  First world problems.  ;)

Good ole rain to ruin things. Looks killer, certainly liking the carbon look with the black. If you ever have time to take some more pictures, it would help me out if you had one from the side view of the car and front angle view of the car. If your like me, I can never see to many pictures of vettes.

Thanks for posting those. Looks like I might already be putting my hood for sale that I just purchased a few weeks ago.

me personally - i would paint the mesh grilles black.  then i would probably have a good vinyl place wrap it in gloss black - leaving the carbon fiber vents on each side exposed, just to see if i liked the black versus the carbon.  

but thats just me.