Customer Service 866.965.0400

We are off to Amelia!

mc2hill

My client has been asked to bring his car to be the featured car at the duPont Registry Live Aeroport Reception on Friday night, before the Amelia Island Concour's d'Elegance on Sunday.  Needless to say, he is super stoked!

We have not touched it since a car show in early November.  It has been in his garage, covered most of the time, except when he is tweaking it.  He did have it out a few weeks ago for a 'thank you' party for all the folks that worked on the car.

1919%20White%2004_zpsuntyfmsb.jpg

1919%20White%20100_zpsafs6qufd.jpg

This car does not look that big, but it takes a looong time to detail.  

I started with the wheels:  They took an hour each to clean the first time, but only 30 minutes each this time!  I cleaned them with Rinseless Wash, mixed a little bit heavier than recommended, and a Utility Towel.  24" tires, 12 spokes, 4 sides to each spoke, and 2 sides to each tire.  I dried them with a Waterless Wash towel, and finished them off with BG.

WPprepday2008_5_zps44196553.jpg

Then I started on the frame, which is the whole car...it is powder-coated gloss black, and looks fantastic.  When the car was being built, all the holes were filled, and it was smoothed to a glass-like smoothness.  The powder-coaters said it was the best work they had seen and done.  I washed it with the same dilution of Rinesless Wash, and a Borderless Blue towel, and dried with the Waterless Wash towel.  Then I applied BG to the whole thing.  

I used Detailing Swabs and popsicle sticks around MF towels to get into all the crevasses on the frame and in & around the hardware on the car.

WPprep003_zps9a1f1ab8.jpg

WP%20prep%20frame%20closeup_zpsvi9ijloc.

Finally on to the paint.  Again Rinesless Wash and a Borderless Blue towel, and dried with the Waterless Wash towel.  There was some slight marring, so I used PCP with a 5" version of the white Adam's pad.  There was one scratch that did not come out with a single section pass, so I went at it for 2 more passes instead of going to a more aggressive polish/pad combo to make it look mirror-like.

Amercainhood009_zps12017ee0.jpg

Amercainhood012_zps8cb1eb3f.jpg

I wiped it down with Revive to clean the paint, then appilled BG, and topped it with Americana.  

IMG_2431_zpsby2xdwho.jpg

Sorry no pictures of the whole car, maybe after this show. 

Off to the show on Friday.  A quick wash when we get their should be all the is needed.

I always wondered what it would be like to detail a classic vehicle like this.  Enjoy the show and please share some pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is rewarding, especially when we take it for a drive around the block!  I am not attending the Sunday show ($100 per ticket) but will be going to the Cars and Coffee on Saturday morning.  Should be some real good stuff there.

Excellent, excellent job. SO many more intricate surfaces and contours to identify and keep track of on a vintage vehicle like this. Wow!

Thanks Paul.

Yes, there are lots of challenges vs. a 'full bodied' car.  For the last show I spent 4 Saturdays detailing it (plus a few hours looking it over and planning a few weeks before).  I washed the frame one weekend but the inside of the front of the frame had some 'crud' in it and it bugged me all week until I could get back to it with my Detailing Swabs and Qtips.

WP%20prep%20frame%20closeup_zpsvi9ijloc.