Customer Service 866.965.0400

1973 Bronco Ranger

mmflpa

Question

Just picked up a new to me Bronco! The plan is to eventually do a frame off restore, but I want to get some enjoyment out of her for a few months this summer and think about what I want to do.

The paint has no shine on the hood, and there is a small area on the right of the hood that is looking pretty rough. Any ideas on how/where I should start? 

(I am also including a picture of the interior, which is all original and still in great shape. It also shows what the paint is supposed to look like)

post-12873-0-59956400-1429729398_thumb.png

post-12873-0-72101700-1429729405_thumb.png

post-12873-0-90821500-1429729412_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Start this project just like you would with any other project.  Wash, clay, paint correction(compound and polishing), and then wax or sealant.  Paint that old might be single stage paint but I am not sure.  Just take it slow and it will come out good!

Edit: Also watch all of the videos Adam and his team have put up, that will show you proper technique and how to do it!

Edited by hockeybawler

That's in great condition.  My brother had a blue and white 73 and it sure didn't hold up like yours.  Of course, he used to throw deer carcasses across the hood.  Have fun with your new "baby".

I do have a machine polisher, and I took everyones advice here and watched all of the videos. I have another question though, not sure if I need a new thread or not...

There is a very small amount of rust around the back bumper. I already plan on replacing these panels when I paint it in the fall (LUBR is my end goal), but until then, what should I do with this in the meantime? Should I avoid this area with the clay bar and everything else, or just go right over it? 

post-12873-0-54181700-1429802539_thumb.jpg