Customer Service 866.965.0400

HGG application

KSRegalGS

Question

This is my second time using HGG. The first time I did a rinseless wash in my garage, and then proceeded with a modified wet application of HGG with a water spray bottle. Came out flawless from what I could tell. Last night I had time for a 2 bucket wash, and after my final rinse I left the car wet, grabbed a saturated towel and a dry towel and got to work with HGG. I noticed after applying and buffing dry there were some areas that had an oily residue. I was in the shade and it was easy to detect. If I went over the spot with my wet towel and redried the spot it seemed to go away. I went around the car with a light detail spray wipe down but I had to get back to family time before calling it a night. Anyone else experienced these spotty areas? I noticed if I didn't catch any HGG overspray right away it left behind those spots as well.

5 answers to this question

I saw a similar thing the first time I used it.  I didn't really see it right after I finished applying but noticed later that an imprint of bugs I'd hit would show on the windshield and side mirrors--the opposite of what a sealant is supposed to do.  I figured out later that I used too much product and didn't get it all wiped off well enough.

Used HGG again the past weekend and tried the dry method.  This worked much better for me and used a LOT less product.

Next time I try it, I'm thinking about a hybrid of the wet/dry method.  I want to take advantage of the time savings that the wet approach gives but don't want to over apply.  So I'm not going to spray the product directly on the vehicle when I dry, I'll just spray it on the wet towel.  I think this will help me control how much product I use because I tend to get trigger-happy when spraying stuff on my car.

Thanks for the tips. I thought it could have been too much product, but it seemed to show even when I wiped over a section with a wet towel that already had product absorbed in the towel. Practice makes perfect I guess. This product seems to require a little more attention to technique than other products. But either way this stuff is still the bomb diggity. Water was still beading off the car 3 weeks after my first application when I was trying to wet the panels before washing.

Its easy to go too heavy with this stuff, especially as you move along and the towel becomes more saturated. Once you find the sweet spot its pretty effortless.

I've really found a less is more approach is better with it. At least with the dry application method. Unfortunately I haven't had good luck with the wet application due to lack of shade at my house and the project car sitting in the garage.