Customer Service 866.965.0400

Oil Consumption and your "NEW" Car.

LFairbanks

Found this article to be interesting and thought I would share it.  IMO, oil consumption on any car is unacceptable if it is maintained properly and quality lubricants and fuel are used.  Had a Toyota years ago with 147K that didn't use any oil in between oil changes.  My wife has a 2006 Dodge Charger, with the 3.5, that uses like 3 quarts between oil changes.  And I'am a stickler on maintenance.  It has been doing it since around 36K miles.  It now has 49K.  Asked the Dealer about it and they said it was normal and that their 4.0 engine is the worse offender when it comes to oil consumption.  I hate that car.  

BMW's 4.4 might as be a diesel it burns so much oil. My '07 jeep GC with the Hemi burns a tad over a quart between changes. I change it at 5,000 using syn. If I changed it at 3, it probably wouldn't burn enough to warrant adding any berfore changing it completely. My wife's '14 Hemi Durango burns nothing between oil changes 5,000 as well.

Edited by BrianT

The "sad truth" is that most OEM car manufacturers state that 1 quart per 1,000 miles is considered "normal" due to lighter weight oils, and higher operating temperatures. Usually printed in the owners manual as well.

Doesn't mean everyone agrees to it, just stating a fact.

A newer car shouldn't be using any oil.  It is almost as though you never need to pull the drain plug, just change the filter and add oil.  I have never seen a newer car use oil, and when I first noticed my wife's car using oil, I just out of curiosity pulled the dipstick and it was 2 quarts low.  Now I'am like a hawk and always watching it.  Neither of my other cars, nor ones I have owned in the past have used oil.  

And I did scroll thru my manuals to see if I had overlooked something in regards to oil consumption and there was nothing.  I'am one that reads them.

I use Valvoline 0W-20 on my DD   Full Synthetic

Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W-40 on my Diesel    Conventional

Mobil 1 10W-30 on the wife's Charger.   Full Synthetic

Change all of them every 5k.

Read the paragraph "High Oil Consumption in Some New Vehicles".

http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_consumption.htm

Edited by LFairbanks

In my GTO I put about a 1000 miles a year, when I do my yearly oil change I dump a couple ounces of oil out of my catch can......

That's where the oil goes in the Jeep, their really poorly designed breather system. I need a catch can!

Edited by BrianT

My 15 year old, 190K Frontier burns no oil, and my friend with a brand new BMW told me his 'add oil' light came on the other day.  He was worried and took it by the dealer.  They told him that is not unusual, and the bigger Bimmers burn even more that his. 

Edited by mc2hill

Found this article to be interesting and thought I would share it.  IMO, oil consumption on any car is unacceptable if it is maintained properly and quality lubricants and fuel are used.  Had a Toyota years ago with 147K that didn't use any oil in between oil changes.  My wife has a 2006 Dodge Charger, with the 3.5, that uses like 3 quarts between oil changes.  And I'am a stickler on maintenance.  It has been doing it since around 36K miles.  It now has 49K.  Asked the Dealer about it and they said it was normal and that their 4.0 engine is the worse offender when it comes to oil consumption.  I hate that car.

Our '06 Charger using regular oil uses no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes. I tried switching to Mobil 1 for a while and it used 1.5 quarts in the same 5,000 interval. We have approximately 110,000 miles on it now.

Our '06 Charger using regular oil uses no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes. I tried switching to Mobil 1 for a while and it used 1.5 quarts in the same 5,000 interval. We have approximately 110,000 miles on it now.

I have used Mobil 1 in that car for a long time and it used to never use any oil initially.  What oil are you using?  Maybe I will have to try using something else.  I have usually tried to stick to Valvoline products. 

Edited by LFairbanks

I use 5W20 valvoline. If the store is out of it, I'll use Quaker State. I don't use the high mileage oil.

You must have the Hemi?  

Upon reading a couple of different articles I think I'am just going to stay with synthetic.  

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/synthetic-versus-conventional-oil-which-should-you-use/

Edited by LFairbanks

I changed the oil in my car once. Well, on my Volt which is mainly electric and only has about 3k gas miles on the engine in almost 3 Years. The only reason I changed is because the manual says to change after two years. I change the oil on my Vette once a year even though I only put about 2,000 a year on that, but it will burn oil. I add at least 1 qt, maybe 2 a season.

That's where the oil goes in the Jeep, their really poorly designed breather system. I need a catch can!

Look into Mann Provent catch can's. Actually they are an oil/water separator and the caught oil is recycled back to the oil pan if you install it how they are meant to. I've seen no I'll effects with running them without recycling them though, just have to remember to drain it.

The filter element is easily changed and have a life span somewhere around 100k from what I've read.