Customer Service 866.965.0400

BMW Leather wrapped steering wheel

thatryan

Question

Anyone have this? How do you clean it...?

I tried spraying leather cleaning on rag and wiping it, seemed to get "sticky"ish.. I then applied leather conditioner to it, and black appeared to come off onto the red pad, not sure if dirt or color...But still not nice and "supple" like seats.

5 answers to this question

If it's the M wheel it's a softer type material also steering wheels are wrapped tighter than seats and won't get "supple" like seats. be careful not to rub too hard. Steering wheels, gear shift knobs and the center armrest tend to be the dirtiest parts of the interior and its best practice to make multiple light passes. Usually making 1-2 attempts at cleaning isn't enough on a dirty surface (dirt,skin oil,food grease), Leather Cleaner will do the job. I've done many BMW steering wheels and what your looking for is dull and grippy after cleaning, to compare do a 50/50 test next time.

Edited by vobro

Use a soft horse hair or boars hair brush if you'd like to agitate the cleaner, then wipe it off with a slightly damp MF towel.

Should be clean as a whistle then.  And btw there is a light cleaning agent in Leather Conditioner so if you applied it and still got some dirt on the towel, the wheel might not be fully clean.

I use a lug nut brush dedicated to interior use for doing the majority of the steering wheel agitation. Light pressure is key. otherwise you will remove the dye/coating on the leather.

My other method is spraying a bit of cleaner on a towel and placing it around the grip of the wheel and twisting a bit. Again light pressure.

Sometimes they take a few attempts as they can get pretty dirty and you have to be gentle.

Awesome, thank you all.

Never occurred that it was that much dirtier, so I will try the multiple light cleaner passes.

Also wondering if my leather conditioner may have gone bad (along with others) from sitting in garage that gets kinda hot here in CA :(