Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is the new PC7424 needed? Or did I order the wrong pads?

mattpiper

Question

I just received my order with the new 6" pads and 5" PC-7424XP backing plate... Replaced the backing plate only to find the new pads are significantly bigger then the new backing plate, and nearly perfect (just *slightly* too small) for the old backing plate.

Did I order the wrong pads? They are the Gen5 6" pads. There's no way to easily center them on the new PC-7424XP backing plate. But they'd be almost perfectly centered on the old one...

Should I just keep using the old backing plate? Is there a reason for the size discrepancy on the new backing plate versus the pads (assuming I ordered the correct stuff). 

Pics should be attached...

post-6237-0-97516900-1438896269_thumb.jpg

post-6237-0-02560200-1438896281_thumb.jpg

post-6237-0-18592800-1438896288_thumb.jpg

post-6237-0-12644200-1438896297_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Adams always gives about a 1/2" of overhang on each side of the pad I think for safety purposes.  As a rule of thumb you should have approx 1/4" each side on the minimum of pad overhang with a backing plate, so they give you a bit more.

Don't use the black backing pad with those 6" pads, its wider than the backing on the pad as I can tell by your pic.  Also, if you need a centering ring on your pads to tell they are centered that is a bit ridiculous considering 90% of pads on the market don't have a centering ring lol.

Those 6" pads are nice and the 5" plate provided with the machine should work just fine on them.

Guess I'm spoiled. The old hex pads (the last ones I used) had the foam hang over the back edges and the backing was exactly the size of the backing plate. Just all fit perfectly. This seems a step backwards. I don't "need" a centering ring, but it sure was nice.

Also, no one appreciates being called ridiculous. We're better than that here on this forum.

Edited by mattpiper

i said if you (speaking for all and not specifically yourself sir!) need a centering ring, that is ridiculous.  Did not call you ridiculous.

It was nice to have on the last gen as a convennience factor but the new pads are much better in many ways.  100% perfect centering is for rotaries, if you are a mm or two off on an orbital its not a big deal.  Have fun with your new pads!