Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing boats.

dodgegirl05

Question

14 answers to this question

Guest washemup

Boats generally have gel coat on them. Gel coat is more prone to oxidation then common clear coats on vehicles.

If your boat is new and has no oxidation, wax will protect the surface, and the clay will remove bonded contaminates. 

If your boat has light oxidation, clay won't remove it. A gel-coat cleaner wax is what you'll need.

For a heavily oxidized boat, it usually requires wet sanding and polishing to remove the oxidation to restore the shine before applying wax.

I know this is an Adams forum, but I have to be 100% honest with you. Collinite 925 Boat Wax is designed for gel-coat and is extremely durable. I'd save Americana or Patriot for your vehicles.

Edited by washemup

Boats generally have gel coat on them. Gel coat is more prone to oxidation then common clear coats on vehicles...

Is that ever the truth!

Many boats also spend more time in the sun than cars. (Agreed, there are many exceptions!) UV protection is really desirable. 

I have recently found Revive with a blue Hex applicator does a great job cleaning exhaust stains from the fiberglass. Wonder how it would do on light oxidation?

I have a friend that's father and the people in his complex live have a bunch of very expensive boats and would like me to clean them? What would you suggest on using? I've never seen them or how long they have been in/out of the water.

Our polishes (Paint Correcting and Paint Finishing) actually work great on gel coats.  If the surface is heavily oxidized, then polish before you clay.  Also, have a couple back up pads, as they can get soiled pretty quickly.  

From there, definitely go with a Sealant (preferably Liquid Paint Sealant).  A sealant will hold up better in the elements.  

Guest washemup

Our polishes (Paint Correcting and Paint Finishing) actually work great on gel coats.  If the surface is heavily oxidized, then polish before you clay.  Also, have a couple back up pads, as they can get soiled pretty quickly.  

From there, definitely go with a Sealant (preferably Liquid Paint Sealant).  A sealant will hold up better in the elements.  

Heavy oxidation on a boat cannot be removed with compound alone. Moderate oxidation possibly. Maybe with a heavy cut compound and a wool pad on a rotary, but heavy oxidation most likely will need wet sanding to completely remove, and usually several stages of it.

Nope these products don't work on boats... :P

IMG_3395_zpsxgcn2iaf.jpg

IMG_3396_zps1bwico6a.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsofzecoge.jpg

Nope these products don't work on boats... :P

IMG_3395_zpsxgcn2iaf.jpg

IMG_3396_zps1bwico6a.jpg

IMG_3391_zpsofzecoge.jpg

Those are nice pics of your Ranger.

However, they don't prove anything as far as durability of products used.

I like Adams products as much as anyone,  if that's what you have on your boat, leave it outside with another for 6 months in the same conditions, going to the same lakes, in the water the same amount of time, with the other product I mentioned on another boat, and then see what the difference is.

Heavy oxidation on a boat cannot be removed with compound alone. Moderate oxidation possibly. Maybe with a heavy cut compound and a wool pad on a rotary, but heavy oxidation most likely will need wet sanding to completely remove, and usually several stages of it.

Those are nice pics of your Ranger.

However, they don't prove anything as far as durability of products used.

I like Adams products as much as anyone, if that's what you have on your boat, leave it outside with another for 6 months in the same conditions, going to the same lakes, in the water the same amount of time, with the other product I mentioned on another boat, and then see what the difference is.

You don't have to school me friend, I've been around the block a time or two...

And you are absolutely right on most of the things you said...

I use an array of products and brands and cater them to my specific needs. I happen not to need durability because my boat stays inside 24/7 and is detailed after each time out of the water.

Leave it outside for 6 months?!?! Not a chance lol.

Guest washemup

You don't have to school me friend, I've been around the block a time or two...

And you are absolutely right on most of the things you said...

I use an array of products and brands and cater them to my specific needs. I happen not to need durability because my boat stays inside 24/7 and is detailed after each time out of the water.

Leave it outside for 6 months?!?! Not a chance lol.

Not my intention at all! Your boat is obviously meticulously maintained judging by the pics! For that I salute you! :bow:

The response was more for the OP, as she is doing boats for other people. They, I can almost 100% guarantee you, do not take even close to the amount of care of their vessels as you do. Thus the recommendation I gave.

I wish I could afford to fish, I haven't even been in a boat since 2008! Detailed a few though. As far as Adams products, I will say the APC rocks on all the really dirty stuff. I've removed mold and stains from vinyl seats that you would think would never come off!

What if you don't have a buffing wheel?

If you have to work by hand only, your only going to be able to remove light oxidation. Not having seen the boats you are doing, and the condition, I couldn't honestly say if you could fix issues.  

Edited by washemup

Gosh I don't miss having a waverunner - you know what they say about BOATs - Bring Out Another Thousand lol

Chase, sharp looking boats my dude!  Sealant as a last step FOR SURE on these, whether salt water or not IMO

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Guest washemup

I think well maintained boats like that catch more fish!

An old friend of mine had a Gambler bass boat that he kept in impeccable condition as well, I only fished 2 tourneys with him , I only caught 1 fish each one, but they were both 3lbs plus, and we ended up winning both. I was more worried about bumping his boat or motor with my jig!

His motto is "Work is for people who don't know how to fish!"

post-12794-0-76163300-1447287447_thumb.jpg