Customer Service 866.965.0400

white dot on tires and wont come off

jessewsmith

Question

I got new tires on about 2 weeks ago and i just got around to clean my truck. I seen they all had a white dot on all 4 tires. I figured no problem, i will use the APC and the fender brush and it will come off. Nope. i did it agian.. nothing.. so i just cleaned them good and put some vrt on them. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off?

9 answers to this question

As I recall from my old days as a wheel designer, that little dot should be aligned with the valve stem. I doubt most installers even bother, but since the dot is still on tires I believe the logic is still valid.

Rather than relying on my old gray matter, which can't even recall what I ate for breakfast, or why I was doing something when I was designing wheels back in 80's, anyhow, I looked it up.

Since it is very hard to make a tire that is perfectly balanced, some tire manufacturers apply yellow dots that indicate the tire's light balance point and serve to help you balance the assembly while mounting the tire. The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem.

This is always true except in cases where a red dot also appears in the lower sidewall. The red dot indicates the high point for both radial runout and radial force variation. As I'm sure you know, not only is it hard for tire manufacturers to make a perfectly balanced tire, it also is very difficult to make a perfectly round tire.

To avoid or minimize these problems, whenever you see a red spot, match this up with the valve stem-unless you happen to have a steel wheel that has a dimple on the exterior side of the rim area. The dimple indicates the wheels' low spot and is spec'ed by some original equipment manufacturers so that they can match mount tires and wheels installed on new trucks at the factory.

If you see both a red as well as a yellow dot on the tire, the red dot takes priority. An easy way to remember this is the phrase ``Red Rules.'' Ignore the yellow dot and match the red dot to the wheel low point dimple as some vehicle manufacturers do or, if no dimple is marked on the wheel, align the red dot with the valve stem.

Anyhow, since others had told you how to take it off Ithought I'd tell you why it's there in the first place.

Bruce

As I recall from my old days as a wheel designer, that little dot should be aligned with the valve stem. I doubt most installers even bother, but since the dot is still on tires I believe the logic is still valid.

Rather than relying on my old gray matter, which can't even recall what I ate for breakfast, or why I was doing something when I was designing wheels back in 80's, anyhow, I looked it up.

Since it is very hard to make a tire that is perfectly balanced, some tire manufacturers apply yellow dots that indicate the tire's light balance point and serve to help you balance the assembly while mounting the tire. The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem.

This is always true except in cases where a red dot also appears in the lower sidewall. The red dot indicates the high point for both radial runout and radial force variation. As I'm sure you know, not only is it hard for tire manufacturers to make a perfectly balanced tire, it also is very difficult to make a perfectly round tire.

To avoid or minimize these problems, whenever you see a red spot, match this up with the valve stem-unless you happen to have a steel wheel that has a dimple on the exterior side of the rim area. The dimple indicates the wheels' low spot and is spec'ed by some original equipment manufacturers so that they can match mount tires and wheels installed on new trucks at the factory.

If you see both a red as well as a yellow dot on the tire, the red dot takes priority. An easy way to remember this is the phrase ``Red Rules.'' Ignore the yellow dot and match the red dot to the wheel low point dimple as some vehicle manufacturers do or, if no dimple is marked on the wheel, align the red dot with the valve stem.

Anyhow, since others had told you how to take it off Ithought I'd tell you why it's there in the first place.

Bruce

This is pretty much accurate as I work in a tire plant currently I just would like to add that at least here the red and yellow dot will be on every single tire put that goes out the door and to what everyone else said I agree a solvent will or at least should take care of it

Bruce

Great info, learn something new every day!