Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Mitt

OIF Vet

Question

13 answers to this question

Just curious to see if Adam's has been playing with the idea of a clay mitt?

Here's some posts on the clay alternatives:

Not at this time. Clay is perfectly effective on glass and in all our testing we have not found a solution in the 'clay alternative' category that is both capable of decon on the level of traditional clay while not introducing excessive marring.

We've tested alternatives that decon better than clay, but mar the crap out of paint.

We've tested alternatives that don't mar that badly, but don't decon as well as comparable clay.

As soon as we can find a media that offers a balance of decon and paint friendliness we like we'll consider it.

Fair question.

So the clay alternatives are (at least in my opinion) another flavor of the month phenomena. They certainly work, they are effective, but thats where I stop.

Are they MORE effective than clay? Not in my experience. Just about the same when you compare fine grade to fine grade.

The place I really see the alternatives shine is in HEAVY decon - but that also means you're using one of the more aggressive media and introducing a ton of damage in the process. Fine if you are already planning on correcting, but if your paint is already great why screw it up? Not many of our customers have trashed paint, we have a lot of guys trying to go from good to great, not hammered to great.

So long story short - yes. They're out there. They work, but the flavor of the month detail club is overly in love with the technology b/c its "NEW!" not because its better.

We tested the heck out of clay alternatives (sponges/towels) long before they became a popular substitute for traditional clay.

What we found is that while they may save you a bit of time, they all created some level of marring, even the fine grade ones.  Because of this, you would need to polish after using one of these clay substitutes, and not everyone wants to go through that process.

Call us "old school" but we still prefer traditional clay.  :)

I tried Clay Alternatives and wasn't very impressed. It made a ton of marring marks on the paint while barely removing any of the contaminates. Followed up with a traditional clay bar and it cleared it right up.

Not sure if you have used a clay alternative but ether way my recommendation is sticking with traditional clay.

I haven't tried anything else.  I've been hearing a lot of others talking about the mitt on a different.  They are all singing high praises about it but from what I heard it didn't work good.

I haven't tried anything else.  I've been hearing a lot of others talking about the mitt on a different.  They are all singing high praises about it but from what I heard it didn't work good.

A lot of people get brand brainwashed. I think they are terrible. Creates more damage than what its worth. It doesn't even do as good of a job as real clay.

A lot of people get brand brainwashed. I think they are terrible. Creates more damage than what its worth. It doesn't even do as good of a job as real clay.

This may be your opinion, which is fine, but not the opinion of myself and many other professionals. I use clay alternatives (a clay block) 95% of the time and only use traditional clay when needed. The fine grade clay block I use removes just as many contaminates as my Adam's clay used to and does not mar the paint at all. As I've said in the past the only times I've seen marring are on super soft dark paints which traditional clay also marred. If you experienced a "ton of marring" from a *fine* grade clay alternative it was either due to a lack of lubrication, failure to "break-in" the clay block on glass prior to use or the fact that you have extremely soft paint. 

Using a clay alternative is not voodoo and is not rocket science, despite what many on this forum like to make it sound like. 

^I agree with most of what Tim said, clay alternatives are great for what they are and a huge time saver for neglected finishes. For most of the enthusiasts on the forum who are claying 2-3x a year on well maintained cars it's probably not as much of a need, because a quick pass or two with clay will remove most of the contaminants that will accumulate over the course of a few months.

I have both on my shelf and use them both when decontaminating, along with a 1:1 DWC dilution as iron remover. The "decon triple threat" as I call it.

Used properly though, a fine grade clay sponge (I prefer it) or mitt would be fine to add to your regimen, in addition to the clay on your shelf.

I have also switched to a clay alternative towel.  Going from hearing the contaminants making noise against the towel to no more noise and being completely smooth tells me it is working.  I still have some clay bars for very tight spots or what not, but definitely not for the majority of a car.

Edited by MaStA

Oh the irony...

Lessons learned! Always exploring options now. Alternatives to clay just didn't work well for me but I see they work well for others. Personal preference I guess. Lots of "Professionals" still use traditional clay over alternatives but I don't fall in that category. Just a weekend warrior like many others and probably like the OP'er.

EXPLORE!

No ones techniques are the same and no one uses the exact same products as the next guy or gal. Maybe you'll love Alternative Clay... Maybe you won't. The sponge I bought was only $8 w/ a coupon code.