Customer Service 866.965.0400

Power Washer for the Cars? Hummm...

Gregory Pruitt

Question

Many years ago, I bought a portable electric power washer to blast clean the patio and walk ways annually.  I've read that these things will blast the clear coat from the surface of a car.  So, I have never gotten the thing near the cars.  I wash them by hand.

Now, I see that lots of people are using power washers with foam cannons.  How can I use my atomic blaster, concrete pulverizing, power washer for washing the cars?

14 answers to this question

Safe distance and use the correct nozzle. I have a Generac 2500 and I use the white (cleaning) nozzle every time I wash. This nozzle gives the greatest coverage and is not aggressive. If you can place your hand a few feet away from the nozzle and your skin has not come off you are good!

The foam cannon I use has the same size coupler as the nozzles making it 'plug and play'.

If it's electric go to town. It's 2000psi Max. Mine is 1700 psi Ryobi and works great to wash the car. You won't damage paint unless you are stupid and putting the turbo tip next to paint.

Search for MTM foam cannon on Amazon to use with your car shampoo and make tons of suds :)

You may need an adapter for your pressure washer which you can get at Home Depot most likely, not sure what brand you have

If it's electric go to town. It's 2000psi Max. Mine is 1700 psi Ryobi and works great to wash the car. You won't damage paint unless you are stupid and putting the turbo tip next to paint.

I have the same pressure washer and was thinking about using it. What nozzle do you use. The plastic blue one seems worthless. Could you use the turbo nozzle for bugs on the front end of  the car?

Edited by texinfin

The blue plastic nozzle is absolutely worthless on it as is the soap tank. I use the yellow nozzle and have used the turbo nozzle no worries. With the turbo nozzle it won't harm your paint just keep it about a foot from the paint. You just don't want the tip directly on the paint.

I use a 3100psi 2.4gmp pressure washer without issues.  Just use a wide tip and stay about 2 feet away at all times.

I use something similar every single time I wash. I use the 40* white nozzle everytime. I get close if need be, but be smart about it.....naturally. Don't do it near chipped or failing clear, or you'll be in a world of hurt. Does great on my wheels. I barely need to touch them after and it cleans up the white letters on my wheels almost instantly. 

40* tip works for me also!

Many gas pressure washers have a regulator to turn down the pressure. Another approach (maybe depending on the type of un-loader the unit uses) is to use a larger orifice nozzle to reduce pressure.

Yeah a 40 degree tip should work awesome on gas washers - touchless wheel cleaning almost!

My electric Ryobi has a 15 degree and since its lower pressure I can basically get it almost on the paint for baked on bugs and it works great no damage.