Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is Buttery Wax a Cleaner Wax?

GST Auto Detail

Question

Was just curious if Adams Buttery wax is classified as a "cleaner wax".  I try and use a cleaner wax on most of the vehicles I detail that do not have perfect, or very good paint.  Now on vehicles that have nearly perfect/perfect paint, they get the Americana treatment.  I know that "cleaner waxes" are designed to help fill in some of the paint's imperfections, but wasn't sure if Adams buttery wax does that or not. 

11 answers to this question

Adam's Buttery is not a cleaner wax like the Wal-Mart specials in the sense that it will not remove oxidation (those really don't either but thats another discussion) - it does have fillers in Buttery Wax though to hide imperfections

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Revive Hand Polish is considered a "Pre Wax" Cleaner. Use that and follow up with buttery wax if thats what you are looking for. 

Cleaner Wax seems like something that was invented by big box stores, pretty much "combining" two products into one in the name that really just does the same thing as one product. When was the last time you used a "Cleaner" Wax and noticed your paint looked different that just using a straight Wax. Try buttery wax side by side with a "cleaner wax" and you won't notice the difference.

Tip: Use a sealant before the wax for better protection.

When Buttery was reformulated about a year or so ago, one of the "selling points" was that there were more/better fillers than the previous formula.  How much/what types/etc compared to the old version, is not certain, but yes, there are some filling properties of Buttery.  

Brilliant Glaze is probably your best bet for masking light swirls but it isn't super durable and would need topped with something, such as Americana or Buttery to hold it in place.  

Speaking of light swirls, if they're light enough to mask, they are certainly light enough to polish away.  Why just cover them up?  Fix 'em!

Back to the original question of "Cleaner/Wax", it was always my understanding that these products have a mild abrasive and/or some solvents added to them so they clean the surface and then as they dry, the wax part is left behind for you to buff off.  I guess they work well under specific circumstances, but as I mentioned above, if defects are light enough to cover up, they really should be fixed.  

Just my .02  

Most of my customers are only looking for a full detail and application of wax.  The other very small percent want a full paint correction, and are okay with paying a high price for what that work entails, as well as the amazing end result.  I was looking at adding another package where I would use something like Mequiar's Paint Reconditioning Cream, which is kind of like an all in one product that will correct paint (not as well as a traditional paint correction), but will remove a lot of the paint's imperfections.  Obviously the price for this package would not be as high a two stage paint correction, but it might target the population that isn't looking for perfection or willing to pay that cost. 

When Buttery was reformulated about a year or so ago, one of the "selling points" was that there were more/better fillers than the previous formula.  How much/what types/etc compared to the old version, is not certain, but yes, there are some filling properties of Buttery.  

Brilliant Glaze is probably your best bet for masking light swirls but it isn't super durable and would need topped with something, such as Americana or Buttery to hold it in place.  

Speaking of light swirls, if they're light enough to mask, they are certainly light enough to polish away.  Why just cover them up?  Fix 'em!

Back to the original question of "Cleaner/Wax", it was always my understanding that these products have a mild abrasive and/or some solvents added to them so they clean the surface and then as they dry, the wax part is left behind for you to buff off.  I guess they work well under specific circumstances, but as I mentioned above, if defects are light enough to cover up, they really should be fixed.  

Just my .02  

I agree with you about fixing them, and if it were my own vehicle, that's what I would do.  I'm referring to 90% of the business I get.  They don't want a paint correction.  They just want a nice detail with some fresh wax. 

Adam's doesn't sell an All-In-One for production work - you would want to save the Adam's products for your higher end correction jobs - plenty of good All-In-One's on the market

That's what I typically do.  Adams gets used on the high end cars/trucks/SUV's that have nearly flawless paint.  My Trans Am WS6 and the wife's BMW 325xi always get the Adams treatment.