Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay bar issue

2012srt8

Question

Hey guys I'm starting my summer detail a bit late and of course picked the hottest day of the year. It's 100 outside here and 88 in my garage. I'm at the clawing stage and my clay bar turns to mush and isn't pulling anything outta the paint.i had 1.5 bars and I've used the last piece. It worked fine in the beginning until it turned all mushy. Is it just the heat causing this?should I just call it quits now?

18 answers to this question

Yes for sure. There probably garbage now. There all still stuck in pieces in the box they came in. I put them in the house so I'll see what happens. Most of what I felt on the paint was actually the clay bar falling apart

Get you a fan and put it in the doorway to help speed it up. I clayed and polished for a customer last weekend and it was at least 90. I had a pop-up tent setup but it was still very hot. i had no issues but I worked in smaller areas and cleaned the pad after every other section.

looking good. mine is unfortunately white. so a boring color, most people couldnt tell if there were siwrls or not. but i can tell so shes getting the 2 step polish today with my flex, 2 layers of sealant, glaze and patriot wax

Just curious, what type of clay bar were you using? One of our old gray clay bars, our big blue clay bar, or our newer Visco Clay?

I've used the visco clay in 90+ F temps outside without much trouble at all - not ideal conditions but it still did work properly and did not break down on me.

I'm using the white clay bar. It was fine for the first 1

15 minutes or so then it just got really soft and falling apart. I tried pumpkin spice apple and regular detail spray and that didn't make a difference either

post-11677-0-24805300-1469128955_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2012srt8

I recall having many issues with the version prior to the blue bar. I actually love the blue bar though it seems pretty tough to mend.

I have the visco bar and I've tried it 2 or 3 times. Not a fan. I have plenty of blue bar left.

In your case, I'd say it is likely a problem with the bar itself.