Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hazing

xlr8rvette

Question

After having good results on the Explorer, decided to do the Vette. Its raining and from 45 to 55 degrees. I'm inside garage with overhead door open. Washed outside, dried inside then clayed. C6 black Vette with 90k miles and lots of swirl marks.

Tried test area on hood.. What worked was SHR on orange pad at 5 opm followed with MP on orange pad at 5 opm, wipe off, repeat both of above set at 6 opm, wipe, then apply MP on white pad set at 3 opm. Completed hood then did this over entire Vette. About an hour after finishing hood noticed 3 areas on hood that appeared hazy. One area is at edge of hood below winshield, one is on side of hood near front parallel with fender and the third is a larger area in the middle of the hood ( not quite as hazy).

The area on the hood by the windhield on passenger side was about an inch wide and what appearred to be several areas 2" or so long each. The area on the hood next to the fender on the driver's side was about 2" wide x 8" long. At first I thought these might be due to the weather being damp and cold as I've had that show up on Vettes before after polishing by hand ( especially in the evening you get a dampening of certain areas on these plastic cars) and told myself to leave them alone. However, when finished for the day around 6:30 pm my hands took control...

Tried detail spray on the 8" area. No effect. For the smaller 2" wlde areas grabbed the Revive polish and put in on by hand. When wiped. The areas have now come together and this is now 2" x 8". I have left the area in the middle of the hood alone.

By hazy these areas are just plain blah......dull. Do not feel greasy and they show up more so at certain angles. There has been no sun to view these. Spoke with Leo of Detail Addict on phone yesterday and will likely followup with him. Thought I would run this by the forum to see if any of you have experienced this. Holding off on the wax for now.

Sorry this is long and no photos. Thank you

Hazy is exactly the condition that claybarring leaves your finish looking like. You didn't say in your process if you repeated applying the SHR. Often with the PC, it will take multiple applications of products in order to remove the damage that claybarring does. One pass with the SHR sounds a little light to me knowing the aggressiveness of the PC. I would go back with the SHR doing about three passes, then start working your way back to a shine using the white pad before finishing up with the black. Remember, don't apply too much pressure when using the SHR and the orange pad. Allow the pad to oscillate as well as orbit so that you can get the benefit of both actions on your car.

Make sure that you remove all of the polish before you start over agan.

Hi Junkman:

Thanks for the reply. I went over the entire car with the SHR on orange pad at 5 opm, followed with the MP at 5 opm and wiped with MF towell.

Next step was to repeat the above SHR and MP moving speed to 6 opm. Wiped then finished with MP at 3 opm. On the passes at 5 and 6 opm I used a good amount of pressure going in 2 directions slowly as the video emphasized using pressure. Thats what I did up to this time.

Looks like I made a mess out of the hood. You mention removing the wax. I've put the Machine Polish on it and no wax. Do I need to remove the polish? If so, how?...........No disrespect intended, you say only a little pressure, the video says alot of pressure and have seen posts on forum also recommending a little and others alot. Perhaps this is an individual preference thing. However, will try as you suggest and see if it works.

Going out of town for weekend and orange pads are wet from cleaning so will wait til return. Also thinking maybe should have a pro fix (no problem with Adams products, just noob operator error). RAATTS ! Again thanks for your reply !

Hi Bill

I don't think you will need a pro, I think we can get you where you need to be. One thing that would be helpful is pictures but not a problem if you don't have them. The question about pressure is a difficult one to answer as what one person may consider alot another might consider minimal. Some suggest using a bathroom scale to kind of gauge what 20 lbs of pressure feels like. But that being said I think the best thing would be to have a member of the Adam's team on the phone the next time you are ready to give this a shot. Let us know when you are going to take another run at it :hi::hi::hi:

Hi Bill:

Spoke with Leo of Detail Addict, Adams dealer I've spoken to before. I'm going out of town . We will get together for him to look at next week.

Will repost afterwards. The sun just came out! Will pull the Vette onto the driveway and look for / wipe any residual areas where I may have left some polish residue on.

Thank you,

Bill

Guest V6Power

As 'Junkman' said, the trick with pressure is to make sure the 'dual action' is working.

If you apply too much pressure the PC will stop rotating, then its not doing any good anymore. If it stops rotating with the pressure you're applying, try moving up a notch (#5 to #6), also make sure you're breaking down the product enough.

As 'Junkman' said, the trick with pressure is to make sure the 'dual action' is working.

If you apply too much pressure the PC will stop rotating, then its not doing any good anymore. If it stops rotating with the pressure you're applying, try moving up a notch (#5 to #6), also make sure you're breaking down the product enough.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Unbelieveable...just pulled black Vette into driveway with sunshine....WOW !! This car is shiney !!!:banana::banana::banana:

I thought it shone before. This is fantastic ! Zero swirl ! (which was the intent). And haven't put the machine wax on yet! As far as the hazy areas think it may be something to do with the shape of the hood. The sun on the fenders is around 1/2 " diameter, on the hood it is around 2" in diameter. The C6 fenders slope down to the hood while the the hood itself is on a flatter plain. When walking side to side , moving the sun (man am I powerful ) the hood seems pretty consistant. Only thing that is slightly noticeable is where I put the revive by hand on one small area (I know I put it there and no one else will notice...but I will make a couple of passes with the SHR and MP later over the hood). Leo: Will call you before attempt this.

While the swirls are now zero, there are a few scratches. At 90k miles thats okay, unless there is an easy way to be rid of these ????

I'm gonna put the rear license plate back on and go for a ride AS SOON AS THIS BRIGHT SPOT IN MY EYES GOES AWAY. As bright as it was may have to wait awhile !

Thank you

Wow, this thread moved right along while I was away! A lot of good points were made. I usually use 6-14 pounds of pressure at a setting of 5. I did a lot of work using that combo.

OP, sounds like another thing you need to do is get some light on your work area. You should see the same shine indoors as you see in the sun. Check out how much light I use when I'm working in this video. This will keep you from missing spots when working or removing product.

Wow, this thread moved right along while I was away! A lot of good points were made. I usually use 6-14 pounds of pressure at a setting of 5. I did a lot of work using that combo.

OP, sounds like another thing you need to do is get some light on your work area. You should see the same shine indoors as you see in the sun. Check out how much light I use when I'm working in this video. This will keep you from missing spots when working or removing product.

:iagree:Definetly on needing more indoor light (have 1 halogen hung from rafter plus 2 light bulbs in door closure). Also have spot light but no place to plug it in ( keep unplugging pc to plug in light to check, then unplug and plug back the pc. A real clutzy method).Tested pressure with bathroom scales. Believe was using around 15 to 18 pounds total combined (PC itself weighs 5)at setting of 5. ...another question: What does everyone use to get the residual polish and wax off? Little white specks in alot of areas. Assume it would be best to wash car after finished?

Thank you

What does everyone use to get the residual polish and wax off? Little white specks in alot of areas. Assume it would be best to wash car after finished?

Thank you

If I am doing a complete polish I usually wash again before waxing :thumbsup:

But detail spray will work too :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

...What does everyone use to get the residual polish and wax off? Little white specks in alot of areas. Assume it would be best to wash car after finished?

Thank you

Actually, this sounds as if you are working the product too long. When you are wiping off the compounds, they should look like a a hazy, slightly greasy film. If not, you are over-working the product which actually causes more swirls than you are removing. You shouldn't have to wash the car after waxing it or compounding it.

You shouldn't have to wash the car after waxing it or compounding it.

I respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague :D:D:D:D

I think Compounding /Polishing can leave behind oils that can prevent the wax from bonding properly. A 50/50 mix of IPA/water or detail spray can be used to clean after polishing too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Besides it gives me an excuse to use the foam gun again :lolsmack:

I respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague :D:D:D:D

I think Compounding /Polishing can leave behind oils that can prevent the wax from bonding properly. A 50/50 mix of IPA/water or detail spray can be used to clean after polishing too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Besides it gives me an excuse to use the foam gun again :lolsmack:

:lolsmack:

I guess any reason to break out the foam gun again is a good reason!

We have two different ways of doing this which is really no problem. As long as we achieve the same results or the results that we are looking for, then both techniques are good to go. :thumbsup:

:lolsmack:

I guess any reason to break out the foam gun again is a good reason!

We have two different ways of doing this which is really no problem. As long as we achieve the same results or the results that we are looking for, then both techniques are good to go. :thumbsup:

I don't think there is any arguing with your results AJ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: