Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage flooring

AvsBest

I want to do some work in the garage which includes putting some nice flooring in and upgrade the light with some LED/neon bars (whatever they are called these days). I have a tandem garage (one car behind another) so it's pretty much a tunnel and it's pretty dark. The lights would be mor benificial for paint correction.

I'm thinking about putting 3 LED bars about 6 feet apart from each other in the garage section that I use to correct paint. Is it overkill?

What about flooring? I don't know much about that but I'd like this rubber feel flooring like the one Adam's have in their bay. Do you need to be rocket scientist to install this and what about water? I wash my vehicles inside the garage so that's also important. I don't care much about epoxy flooring so if that's my only option I may not do the flooring

Edited by AvsBest

I have the RaceDeck floor and I believe that's what Adam's use too (I could be very wrong).  Me & my wife love them.  It's open face so water (or snow) will fall under the surface and drain outside the garage (FYI all garage floor is not level by design for water drainage).  Go to forum like 6speeds and direct PM RaceDeck for the discount coupon (it's up to 15% off).

post-11910-0-82448600-1470022356_thumb.jpg

I have been doing some research as well on garage flooring. Sounds like Swisstrax or RaceDeck are the 2 main options when it comes to quality garage tile flooring. Both seem like quality made products and they are very similar, but their are some differences.

My 2 issues are:

1) My garage is not level but it's not in a decent slope either, I need a squeegee to get it out or else it would stay still ish

2) My garage is 460sq ft so it starts to add up price wise, I couldn't find a specific price on racedeck but their competitors are about $3 per square foot.

How big was yours and what was the price landshark?

Edited by AvsBest

They are not cheap options but as landshark mentioned earlier, you can get a discount on them through various forums, and they come with 15 years warranty. I'm sure there are cheaper options but you always pay for what you get, 15 years warranty is a good sign of a quality made product. 

With the lights, one thing to consider for correction purposes would be instead of running a strip down the center of the ceiling, run two sets, on each side closer to the walls running the length of the garage.  That would give you better side lighting.

I guess i should have posted a picture earlier. It's not your traditional size garage. The plan is to replace each light with 1 LED strip.

It's s gonna be a bit tough to come up with a nice racedeck pattern I think because of the odd shape. It is deeper than it looks and the opening at the back is also wider than it looks.

The full length is 40 feet and at its widest, it's 14 feet.

post-12101-0-42494200-1470114599_thumb.jpg

Edited by AvsBest

I plan to do an epoxy coating in the fall/winter (it's 98 degrees in Houston during the summer, so...no).  I've done this in a couple houses, and you'd be surprised the difference it makes.  I looked into Race Deck and Swisstrax, but for my needs, epoxy was the way to go.  I don't know what the forum rules are for recommending companies, so if you're interested in the kits I've used in the past, send me a message.  I've done it myself on both occasions, and it's pretty easy. 

This was the end result of the last house where I did it:
post-12111-0-72052500-1470345758_thumb.jpg

-Mike

I plan to do an epoxy coating in the fall/winter (it's 98 degrees in Houston during the summer, so...no).  I've done this in a couple houses, and you'd be surprised the difference it makes.  I looked into Race Deck and Swisstrax, but for my needs, epoxy was the way to go.  I don't know what the forum rules are for recommending companies, so if you're interested in the kits I've used in the past, send me a message.  I've done it myself on both occasions, and it's pretty easy. 

This was the end result of the last house where I did it:

attachicon.gifIMG_1497.jpg

-Mike

That's what I did. After purchasing our 1st home, it was little too much money for the racedeck flooring.

I did epoxy and it came out OK (I didn't get good coverage on few spots and same with the gloss finish) but over all very good. Anyone who comes to my house (the men mainly lol) envy my garage.

I put 2 LED strips and it's nice and bright too. I even got a portable AC (500 sq feet) but need insulation for it.

Does the floor squeek when you turn the wheels on epoxy? If I go that route I'd buy a $300 costco kit probably

Yes, they do.  Regardless of what kit you buy, prep work is the key.  The first time I epoxied a floor, I used a couple off the shelf kits from Home Depot, and didn't do a lot of prep.  Within a couple years, it was starting to peel where the tires came to rest.  Also, because I opted not to use the flake material (clown barf), the floor got really slick when it was wet.  Lessons learned.  The next time, I used muriatic acid to etch the floor, laid down a thicker coat of material (from a kit I bought online), and included the clown barf.  That held up MUCH better, and will probably last at least 10 years.

-Mike

I'll have the lights done in a couple of weeks and I guess I'll go to the floor forum to do it right. I'm not planning on staying here forever so don't want to invest too much in that project. Looks like epoxy is my best solution. Thanks for the info

I just painted my garage floor. I ended up going with a garage floor paint (not epoxy). I am very happy with the results. What I learned (as mentioned) is that prep work is key. My garage floor is 40 years old with a lot of oil stains. It took me 2-3 days just to get the stains out. Etching is key to make the paint to stick to the concrete. The mistake I made was applying it when it was too humid. I let it dry for 7 days but when I parked the cars the paint peeled under the tires. I ended up placing mats under the tires which solved the problem but the humidty just did not allow the paint to cure properly.