Customer Service 866.965.0400

H2O G&G and Sidekick

avimore

Question

Hi, wondering if it's best to dry the excess water with the Sidekick before applying G&G, or should I first apply G&G and then dry the excess water?

Also, do you apply G&G to the door jambs?

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

I also would do the G&G then blow out the cracks etc and clean up with detail spray.

Mainly because I believe there to be an element of risk as far as the dirt in the cracks that blows out with the water. I wouldn't want to spread that with the G&G and then buff some swirls right into the finish. Going back with DS gives a little protection (spritz with waterless wash would probably be ideal for handling the blown out water).

I also would do the G&G then blow out the cracks etc and clean up with detail spray.

Mainly because I believe there to be an element of risk as far as the dirt in the cracks that blows out with the water. I wouldn't want to spread that with the G&G and then buff some swirls right into the finish. Going back with DS gives a little protection (spritz with waterless wash would probably be ideal for handling the blown out water).

Never thought of residual dirt coming from blowing out the cracks, mirrors etc. Great advice! I'll be changing my process for sure!

Thanks for the great info!  The residual dirt being blown out of the cracks definitely makes sense.  Although if it makes sense for the H2O drying method, I'm assuming it should also apply to the Detail Spray drying method?

I just finished watching a video on the Adam's website called 'Safe Drying' where Adam dries a Yukon and calls it a 'between details' dry using Detail Spray and a Great White drying towel.  After a wash, he sprays DS all over the vehicle and then uses the Master Blaster to remove all the excess water out of the mirrors, cracks etc.  After drying with the MB he dries the entire vehicle with the GW drying towel.

Guess the Adams team doesn't think residual dirt being blown out is much of an issue?

Would be great to get some input from the guys at Adams on this.

Ed, 

The "between details" drying method is just a fast way to dry your car off effectively. Detail spraying the whole vehicle adds lubrication so when you go to wipe it off, there is detail on the vehicle already so you won't scratch it as much as you would without the detail spray. 

If you want to use H2O as your drying method then I would do that. In fact, here is how I dry my BLACK car off all the time. Once I'm done washing, I will H2O the whole vehicle and then I would take my sidekick and blow all the cracks and possible dirt could come out, on a black car you can't see the dirt very well so I would take precaution in wiping off the rest of the vehicle after this point. I now spray one panel with detail spray and wipe it off in the same direction, from left to right, with one side. Then, I flip the towel over and wipe off any detail spray that I missed. This method I have found is the safest method I have used drying and trust me, I know when my car gets scratched and I haven't had problems in months with this method so give it a shot and let me know how that works for you!  :thumbsup:

I actually prefer drying with h2o over just detail spray, I have found it to be less prone to scratching than just detail spray on my black car that has a glass coating as well. Towel drying even with detail spray you had to be so careful. The h2o GG buffs so nicely, and then when you air dry the nooks and crannies of the car, the water wipes up so easy with a GWDT.

Thanks for the great info! The residual dirt being blown out of the cracks definitely makes sense. Although if it makes sense for the H2O drying method, I'm assuming it should also apply to the Detail Spray drying method?

I just finished watching a video on the Adam's website called 'Safe Drying' where Adam dries a Yukon and calls it a 'between details' dry using Detail Spray and a Great White drying towel. After a wash, he sprays DS all over the vehicle and then uses the Master Blaster to remove all the excess water out of the mirrors, cracks etc. After drying with the MB he dries the entire vehicle with the GW drying towel.

Guess the Adams team doesn't think residual dirt being blown out is much of an issue?

Would be great to get some input from the guys at Adams on this.

Good point.

In my mind, the detail spray has an element of dirt-encapsulation / lubrication that reduces the risk of scratches due to residual dirt. The G&G is an acrylic-type product (if I recall correctly) so it doesn't have that same type of protection while you are spreading it over the paint.

Thinking of it another way, you could wipe a slightly dusty car down with detail spray, but you really wouldn't apply wax or liquid paint sealant to a slightly dusty car.

Edited by butters

Good point.

In my mind, the detail spray has an element of dirt-encapsulation / lubrication that reduces the risk of scratches due to residual dirt. The G&G is an acrylic-type product (if I recall correctly) so it doesn't have that same type of protection while you are spreading it over the paint.

Thinking of it another way, you could wipe a slightly dusty car down with detail spray, but you really wouldn't apply wax or liquid paint sealant to a slightly dusty car.

that is a good point about detail spray encapsulating dirt. My thinking is that when drying the car, it should be clean of dirt and the H2OGG provides less resistance against the towel compared to detail spray imo. Seems like h2ogg followed by detail spray may be the way to go!

Edited by wely324

Ed, 

The "between details" drying method is just a fast way to dry your car off effectively. Detail spraying the whole vehicle adds lubrication so when you go to wipe it off, there is detail on the vehicle already so you won't scratch it as much as you would without the detail spray. 

If you want to use H2O as your drying method then I would do that. In fact, here is how I dry my BLACK car off all the time. Once I'm done washing, I will H2O the whole vehicle and then I would take my sidekick and blow all the cracks and possible dirt could come out, on a black car you can't see the dirt very well so I would take precaution in wiping off the rest of the vehicle after this point. I now spray one panel with detail spray and wipe it off in the same direction, from left to right, with one side. Then, I flip the towel over and wipe off any detail spray that I missed. This method I have found is the safest method I have used drying and trust me, I know when my car gets scratched and I haven't had problems in months with this method so give it a shot and let me know how that works for you!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Tyler and everyone else for the responses.

Really good information for something that can be easily overlooked.