Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need Help/Suggestions

GST Auto Detail

Question

Okay, I have a friend that has a brand new Eco-Boost Mustang.  I detailed the car about a month ago and he couldn't believe how well it turned out.  So I get a call from him yesterday because he needs my help.  Someone scratched the driver's side rear quarter panel.  From what he says, it was pretty bad.  He purchased one of those paint match pens and used that.  He said it looked great and matched up good.  He also bought a clear coat pen, which he used after letting the paint from the paint pen dry.  Well, I guess he used too much of the clear because he said you can feel that it's raised up where he applied the clear.  He also said the clear messed up the color of the paint pen.  He asked for my help, and I think I have a game plan in place, but want to see what you guys think.  My plan is to use the dual action polisher with some Adams paint correcting polish and see if I can level out the clear, or possibly try to remove all of the clear.  He said it looked good before putting the clear on, so I think if I can get the clear-coat off, we'll be good.  Does this sound like a good plan? 

13 answers to this question

Was the scratch deep enough to catch a fingernail on? If so, sanding may be the only option.

I haven't seen it yet, but based on what he said, yes.  The scratch was pretty deep, he used the paint match paint pen, and then topped that with the clear-coat pen.  His main issue is that he applied too much clear-coat. 

The DA might remove the clear AND the paint that he put on it. I had this happen with a Miata once. It looked 100 times better with no paint in the scratch at all. But I know every situation is different. Good luck!

Thanks!  I think he just wants whatever I can remove removed.  If I can get the clear and paint removed, I can do it for him and make it look right I'm sure. 

That makes sense.  Any idea what grit I should try?  Wet-sanding would probably be best, correct?

I would outline the repair with thin tape on both sides. Get as close to it as possible. I would then wet sand using 2500 grit and level it to the tape. After that you can try by hand ( with 3000 grit) to get it close to the normal height. Only then would I use a machine to finish it up.

That makes sense.  Any idea what grit I should try?  Wet-sanding would probably be best, correct?

U can use 3000 as suggested but I would use 1500 until u get close then use 3500 . Yes I would wet sand and be liberal with the water. Take your time with it ,try to sand only on the raised clear

If you want to try just leveling it, I agree with the sanding recommendation. If you still want to completely remove it, I would go with lacquer thinner. It should still come off pretty easily without hurting the regular clear.

I never use the clear coat when I touch something up. It always looks worse than just using the paint.

Langka!!! I can't say enough about how forgiving it is to work with. I would never take sandpaper to my car in order to fix touch-up, the Langka blob eliminator works like magic.

I tried it with a slight shallow scratch and it pulled all of the touchup out, it's that effective. The tricky thing is being gentle and subtle with it to remove only what you want - much easier with actual paint chips. But if you're trying to level off touchup, this stuff is amazing. Don't waste your time or risk damage with sanding! Your friend / customer will be highly impressed.

Edited by butters