Customer Service 866.965.0400

Micro marring?

Junior

Question

Looking for advice or opinions. I don't know if I can get pics of it, but I have a feeling I might have marred my paint during the drying phase. The problem is you can only see it in certain light at certain angles. I used to think the directional looking lines were from over applied glaze or LSP. It looks like the direction I wipe to dry or remove/buff detail spray out. Maybe I need to do less "rubbing" with the waffle weave and leave that to the DS wiped own. I tend to try and dry the hood and roof and trunk 100% with the drying towel. The reason I think it's marring is I have not applied any glaze or LSP in several months. About the only thing I have applied is DS during the drying portion. Not sure that would cause this as little as it builds up, but maybe I sprayed too much? Anybody else seeing similar things in their paint? Maybe it's technique, but even if not, I don't think it's anything a light polish won't take care of. But now this is driving me more and more towards getting a MB.

BTW it's black Infiniti paint. Seems to swirl up if you look at it sideways.

7 answers to this question

Without pictures, but reading your process description, it is possible that the "marring" or micro damage has been caused by the methods used to dry the vehicle, and possibly some minute debris on the surface, or in the towels.

As long as they are as you described, light polishing should take care of them.

As far as prevention, a couple layers of LSP and then minimal contact with towels on a black painted surface should keep it pristine for a long time!

May not need a MB, perhaps you could try a Sidekick first, remove the majority of the water, then use Detail Spray and a soft MF towel to finish it up?

Don't feel like black is the only color this happens too either, just that darker colors really show any defects easier than lighter colors.

It's very possible you are inducing the marring into your soft infiniti paint.  Instead of 'wiping' you can 'pat' the car dry with your towels.  Less chance of marring that way.  Or just use less pressure, you really don't need any at all while drying.

Or, as you said-the MB is the way to go!!!

Jamey,

as Scott suggested patting is less likely to induce marring. Also I personally like to use the drag technique where you let only the weight of the towel drag across the car. You won't get all the water, but you will get the majority of it, and then you can go back and get the small left over spots with a softer towel. This has worked well for me so far. Works well on my brother in laws black F150 as well. Hopefully this helps!

Edited by jakerodz7

May I suggest a Master Blaster, using it to dry with along with a two bucket wash will save a bunch of swirls & marring.

Mine is about 9 years old and it still works great.

The good news is your micro marring can easily be removed. Do you have a machine polisher?

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/accessories/adam-s-master-blaster-revolution.html