Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Glass Towels

Glass is a particularly interesting topic of detailing to me. As such, I spend a lot of time researching the 'whys' and 'hows' of glass cleaning and optic clarity.

The number one and two questions friends and customers ask me is, "How do you get my windows so CLEAN?" and "Why did my windows get so dirty so quickly??"

I've stated before that the real issue is not on the outside, but on the inside. Of course some people just have sticky (dirty) outer glass and the contaminants are incredibly deep in the pores of the glass and difficult to remove. But most of the complaints of dirty and streaky glass come from what's on the inside glass.

Adam's glass towels are sticky on dirty glass for a reason. The thousands of microfibers on the piled side of the new Glass Towels are slipping in and out of the pores of the glass, grabbing contaminants as you move the towel. For the detailer, this should be an immediate clue that the glass needs decontaminated and the glass pores sealed.

For outside glass, the process required to decontaminate depends on the type of decontamination. On new cars, the culprit is almost always rail dust/industrial fallout. I would start with a wheel cleaner to dissolve any iron, rinse, strip wash, rinse, then clay, wash and rinse, then glass polish, wash and rinse, dry, then seal. The sealant will last for MUCH longer as well, provided you follow standard paint protection maintenance (don't use harsh chemicals to wash). I have had glass sealant last for as long as 2 months on freshly decontaminated glass.

Inside glass can usually be decontaminated using any organic-based soap. Dish soap is commonly used. I have also had very good luck using diluted Adam's Car Shampoo in distilled water. Inside glass can be sealed and I recommend it after decontamination as it makes subsequent cleaning that much faster and easier.

As to the question about why inside glass gets so dirty so quickly...well it's a dirty topic. Off-gassing, environmental factors such as sunlight and ambient temperatures, poor HVAC filtering, rolling down windows, and most notably, the occupants, all contribute to dirty automobile interiors and glass.

Human beings, as it turns out, are filthy creatures. We shed skin, we perspire, we breathe and cough, and we sneeze. All normal functions, but each of these functions plays a role in how quickly your inside glass (and every other surface) gets contaminated. The oils and moisture we expel from our bodies adhere to the interior surfaces and glass very well. These contaminants build up until we notice them and try to clean the glass. In my daily driver, it takes about a week before I notice the cloudiness in my interior glass. Yeah, like I said. FILTHY, we are!

The new Adams Glass Towels are certainly effective. But they are most effective when the same mentality is applied to glass maintenance as is taken with paint maintenance. Right tool, right chemical, right process, and your glass will come out perfect every time.

Edited for clarity.

To each his own in the realm of theories evolved from their personal experiences.

Every new or loaner vehicle I have ever driven has had nasty sticky/clingy windshields (outside, for clarity).

Stripping and sealing the windshield is a top priority for me when new and as a weekly/monthly maintenance routine on all my vehicles. Especially now that I'm older and seeing the world through bug guts and dirt is not so easy. Not to mention my OCD kicks my butt if it's dirty. I'll wipe down my windows before I go anywhere if it's not raining. Anyway, even with the glass sealed and OCD cleaned like I stated, these green towels always require way more muscle and work in general to achieve a clean windshield, and that's minimal bugs and dirt only.

Just my personal experiences with them.

To each his own in the realm of theories evolved from their personal experiences.

Every new or loaner vehicle I have ever driven has had nasty sticky/clingy windshields (outside, for clarity).

Stripping and sealing the windshield is a top priority for me when new and as a weekly/monthly maintenance routine on all my vehicles. Especially now that I'm older and seeing the world through bug guts and dirt is not so easy. Not to mention my OCD kicks my butt if it's dirty. I'll wipe down my windows before I go anywhere if it's not raining. Anyway, even with the glass sealed and OCD cleaned like I stated, these green towels always require way more muscle and work in general to achieve a clean windshield, and that's minimal bugs and dirt only.

Just my personal experiences with them.

Curious to know what towels you prefer to use.