Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Glass Towels

Let's just start with the fact that I am absolutely not hating on Adam's, as I've spent a LOT of money on their products and pretty much love and have everything they offer. But with these towels, it's a different story and I was wondering if anybody else felt the same.

I have read many times over that these towels need to be washed before use, so I did. I also made sure to wash and seal my windows while they were cool and in the shade, but these are the issues I ran into.

I found that the buffer side of the towel works alright since it's basically like what the old blue towels were like. However, the scrubber side left behind fine streaks and even fine particles of lint for me. It was particularly bad on the inside of the windshield. I was hoping the new towel would be the solution to a streak free inner windshield but it streaked bad enough that I had to clean it up with an older style towel. It came clean with the older style so the streaking must have been due to the newer towel. It was clean right off the stack as well. 

I know most people have had flawless experiences with these towels, and I'm sure it's an excellent, well thought out product., but I really haven't had the same experience. Luckily I was able to call Dan and purchase a bunch of older style towels so problem solved, but I just wanted to throw my experience out there in case anybody has similar cases or perhaps a solution. Thank you.

I just used the new towels yesterday. Since some people were complaining, I thought to try one that was washed and one that was brand new, right out of the packaging.

Both left an easy, streak free shine. Ridiculously easy. Seriously, I am not using my old ones at all from now on.

Now, I have had experience with windshields before that are extremely sticky. These sticky windshields like to grab threads and lint any MF I have used that has free-floating threads (not sure the proper term, but think Waffle Weave vs. Single Soft). In this situation it takes many passes to properly clean the windshield.

Most notably, I find brand new cars, and new windshields to have this issue. Or, a new-ish car/windshield that has never really been cleaned.

This is not really the towels fault.

Not saying this is your scenario, but it is a possibility. Is the windshield sticky?

Edited by HFX Detailing

Now, I have had experience with windshields before that are extremely sticky. These sticky windshields like to grab threads and lint any MF I have used that has free-floating threads (not sure the proper term, but think Waffle Weave vs. Single Soft). In this situation it takes many passes to properly clean the windshield.

Most notably, I find brand new cars, and new windshields to have this issue. Or, a new-ish car/windshield that has never really been cleaned.

Not saying this is your scenario, but it is a possibility. Is the windshield sticky?

I will acknowledge that perhaps my windshield is sticky. My car is only a few months old, and the inside of the windshield does seem slightly grabby. But with that being said, the blue towels managed to clean my inside windshield just fine after the yellow towel failed. To me, and again I'm an avid Adam's fan, but I think the scrubber side of the new glass towel is a flawed design. I think the tight weave of the buffer side is fine, but the scrubber side should be redesigned to not leave behind lint and streaks, regardless of the glass surfaces it's used on. I don't see the point in having a towel with that type of surface to clean windows knowing that it has a possibility of leaving behind streaks and lint. Also while discussing scrubber abilities, while sealing the windows, I noticed the blue towels remove stubborn glass sealant much easier than the newer style.

These are just my personal experiences. It seems most people have fantastic results and that's great, but I was hoping Adams would notice the few of us having some difficulties and perhaps make a small modification in the future.

I just used the new towels yesterday. Since some people were complaining, I thought to try one that was washed and one that was brand new, right out of the packaging.

Both left an easy, streak free shine. Ridiculously easy. Seriously, I am not using my old ones at all from now on.

I have the exact problem on my wifes inner windshield as its the only one without tint film applied to it -

My solution is to visco clay it, I think there are some bonded contaminants on the inside probably from sitting in a factory somewhere which makes it "sticky" - I call it "grabby" personally but I agree 100%

Visco Clay on the interior glass should not harm in the least and at least you will know its contaminant free, will update after I clay the inner windshield of my wifes car this weekend to see if it cures it.

Here's what I do.  I wash my windows inside with a wet paper towel with Dawn soap and THEN use the Adam's cleaner and glass towels. It seems to have solved my problem of the never ending film on the inside glass. I don't smoke and nobody in my family does, nobody who smokes has ever been in either of my cars, so that's not the problem.  It's just this crappy film that builds up and for years I couldn't find anything that works to get it off and streak free.  Tried the Dawn first then Adam's and it has solved the issue completely.  

I will acknowledge that perhaps my windshield is sticky. My car is only a few months old, and the inside of the windshield does seem slightly grabby. But with that being said, the blue towels managed to clean my inside windshield just fine after the yellow towel failed. To me, and again I'm an avid Adam's fan, but I think the scrubber side of the new glass towel is a flawed design. I think the tight weave of the buffer side is fine, but the scrubber side should be redesigned to not leave behind lint and streaks, regardless of the glass surfaces it's used on. I don't see the point in having a towel with that type of surface to clean windows knowing that it has a possibility of leaving behind streaks and lint. Also while discussing scrubber abilities, while sealing the windows, I noticed the blue towels remove stubborn glass sealant much easier than the newer style.

These are just my personal experiences. It seems most people have fantastic results and that's great, but I was hoping Adams would notice the few of us having some difficulties and perhaps make a small modification in the future.

I am not sure about flawed design, but more so the wrong tool for the job. Like anything with detailing, you need to find out the best process for each situation. If you are dealing with stickiness, it will pull fibers. If the paint was sticky and you used a single soft, it would do the same thing...that is not the single soft's fault. Another example, I worked on one vehicle where it had terrible brake failure and the paint was like sandpaper. This pulled on the washpad and shredded it. That is not the washpads fault, it was the wrong tool for the job. 

I used the new glass towel just fine on my windshield, but it was not sticky. My windshield was brand new a few months ago, not much was working well with it. It was terribly sticky. It took multiple washes to get right. Any towel I used on it, pulled and if there was loose fibers, they got stuck to the window. In this situation, yes, the tighter weave was perfect in this situation.

If you are dealing with typical dirt, the scrubber side is perfect. 

All-in-all, it is about the right tool for the job. The new glass towel is perfect for some windshields, but not all as you have experienced. Once you eliminate the stickiness, you will be golden.

All-in-all, it is about the right tool for the job. The new glass towel is perfect for some windshields, but not all as you have experienced. Once you eliminate the stickiness, you will be golden.

Perhaps. But the right tool for the job was the older style towel. There was nothing wrong with them, which is why I'm so frustrated they came out with the newer towel and priced them much higher. Luckily I was able to buy some older style ones, so I can discard my new ones. I don't see why I should need multiple types of glass towels to get the job done, whether the glass is sticky or not. If only 1 type of glass towel is going to be offered, then it should be capable of getting the job done right. New or grabby windshields isn't a new concept, so maybe they weren't included in the testing process. I've talked with other people that dislike the new towels too, just not in this thread. Regardless, I'm not jumping down anybody's throat, but I respectfully believe they aren't that great. But I took care of it in my own way, and with that being said I have 2 practically new glass towels I'm willing to trade away to anybody interested.

As a side note, driving down the road today towards the sun, I noticed streaks on the outside of the windshield as well. I know they're on the outside because I use the method of one of the Adams videos about wiping different directions so I know which side the streaks are on. The outside of my windshield is not grabby, as I just clayed and scrubbed it prior to sealing it.

Edited by Mariner

Here's what I do.  I wash my windows inside with a wet paper towel with Dawn soap and THEN use the Adam's cleaner and glass towels. It seems to have solved my problem of the never ending film on the inside glass. I don't smoke and nobody in my family does, nobody who smokes has ever been in either of my cars, so that's not the problem.  It's just this crappy film that builds up and for years I couldn't find anything that works to get it off and streak free.  Tried the Dawn first then Adam's and it has solved the issue completely.  

I'll have to try Dawn to see if I can get rid of the "grabbiness" as it's singularly the worst part about cleaning my windows. 

• 1 month later...

I can't stand the new green glass towels. I've tried everything in the book and I can't get them to clean without leaving residue. Luckily I still have some blue ones! The green ones are frustratingly bad.

Adams may still have some old style ones you can buy. I ended up buying like 4 or 5 packs because I couldn't make the new style work for me. I also tried a different towel from another company that works awesome. Just message me if you want info, as per adams forum rules I can't post it here.

Perhaps. But the right tool for the job was the older style towel. There was nothing wrong with them, which is why I'm so frustrated they came out with the newer towel and priced them much higher. Luckily I was able to buy some older style ones, so I can discard my new ones. I don't see why I should need multiple types of glass towels to get the job done, whether the glass is sticky or not. If only 1 type of glass towel is going to be offered, then it should be capable of getting the job done right. New or grabby windshields isn't a new concept, so maybe they weren't included in the testing process. I've talked with other people that dislike the new towels too, just not in this thread. Regardless, I'm not jumping down anybody's throat, but I respectfully believe they aren't that great. But I took care of it in my own way, and with that being said I have 2 practically new glass towels I'm willing to trade away to anybody interested.

As a side note, driving down the road today towards the sun, I noticed streaks on the outside of the windshield as well. I know they're on the outside because I use the method of one of the Adams videos about wiping different directions so I know which side the streaks are on. The outside of my windshield is not grabby, as I just clayed and scrubbed it prior to sealing it.

Exactly my issue with them. They are "grabby", leave streaks, and don't clean as well as the older blue ones.

When I first started using the new green towels I followed specific instructions from Dan Tyger from Adam's and it made no difference at all. I even use Adam's glass sealant and tried applying a fresh coat in my testing which didn't help at all. They're definitely no where near as good as the old blue towel which I'm glad I still have a few.

Exactly my issue with them. They are "grabby", leave streaks, and don't clean as well as the older blue ones.

When I first started using the new green towels I followed specific instructions from Dan Tyger from Adam's and it made no difference at all. I even use Adam's glass sealant and tried applying a fresh coat in my testing which didn't help at all. They're definitely no where near as good as the old blue towel which I'm glad I still have a few.

It's all about situation. You can't (or it seems you can't) use them on grabby windows. Once the window is properly cleaned, subsequent washes with the new glass towel is a breeze.

Using a waffle weave is much easier on a grabby window. 

Have not tried the new green towels yet but could the difference be if you usually drive with the windows down or not? Maybe the ones that the towels work good always have the AC on and windows up so no over lying dust from the road getting on the windshield. Just a thought.

I agree, grabby towels would mean still something on the glass. I used to get grabbing all the time even with old towels but after getting the glass perfect I dont have any problems anymore. It took quite a bit to get the glass naked, I used glass cleaner, Clay, alternative clay, and then steel wool to finally get it all. Now that its all clean, its awesome and easy to clean, takes moments to clean stuff off of it. 

Glass is a particularly interesting topic of detailing to me. As such, I spend a lot of time researching the 'whys' and 'hows' of glass cleaning and optic clarity.

The number one and two questions friends and customers ask me is, "How do you get my windows so CLEAN?" and "Why did my windows get so dirty so quickly??"

I've stated before that the real issue is not on the outside, but on the inside. Of course some people just have sticky (dirty) outer glass and the contaminants are incredibly deep in the pores of the glass and difficult to remove. But most of the complaints of dirty and streaky glass come from what's on the inside glass.

Adam's glass towels are sticky on dirty glass for a reason. The thousands of microfibers on the piled side of the new Glass Towels are slipping in and out of the pores of the glass, grabbing contaminants as you move the towel. For the detailer, this should be an immediate clue that the glass needs decontaminated and the glass pores sealed.

For outside glass, the process required to decontaminate depends on the type of decontamination. On new cars, the culprit is almost always rail dust/industrial fallout. I would start with a wheel cleaner to dissolve any iron, rinse, strip wash, rinse, then clay, wash and rinse, then glass polish, wash and rinse, dry, then seal. The sealant will last for MUCH longer as well, provided you follow standard paint protection maintenance (don't use harsh chemicals to wash). I have had glass sealant last for as long as 2 months on freshly decontaminated glass.

Inside glass can usually be decontaminated using any organic-based soap. Dish soap is commonly used. I have also had very good luck using diluted Adam's Car Shampoo in distilled water. Inside glass can be sealed and I recommend it after decontamination as it makes subsequent cleaning that much faster and easier.

As to the question about why inside glass gets so dirty so quickly...well it's a dirty topic. Off-gassing, environmental factors such as sunlight and ambient temperatures, poor HVAC filtering, rolling down windows, and most notably, the occupants, all contribute to dirty automobile interiors and glass.

Human beings, as it turns out, are filthy creatures. We shed skin, we perspire, we breathe and cough, and we sneeze. All normal functions, but each of these functions plays a role in how quickly your inside glass (and every other surface) gets contaminated. The oils and moisture we expel from our bodies adhere to the interior surfaces and glass very well. These contaminants build up until we notice them and try to clean the glass. In my daily driver, it takes about a week before I notice the cloudiness in my interior glass. Yeah, like I said. FILTHY, we are!

The new Adams Glass Towels are certainly effective. But they are most effective when the same mentality is applied to glass maintenance as is taken with paint maintenance. Right tool, right chemical, right process, and your glass will come out perfect every time.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by PHOKUS

Glass is a particularly interesting topic of detailing to me. As such, I spend a lot of time researching the 'whys' and 'hows' of glass cleaning and optic clarity.

The number one and two questions friends and customers ask me is, "How do you get my windows so CLEAN?" and "Why did my windows get so dirty so quickly??"

I've stated before that the real issue is not on the outside, but on the inside. Of course some people just have sticky (dirty) outer glass and the contaminants are incredibly deep in the pores of the glass and difficult to remove. But most of the complaints of dirty and streaky glass come from what's on the inside glass.

Adam's glass towels are sticky on dirty glass for a reason. The thousands of microfibers on the piled side of the new Glass Towels are slipping in and out of the pores of the glass, grabbing contaminants as you move the towel. For the detailer, this should be an immediate clue that the glass needs decontaminated and the glass pores sealed.

For outside glass, the process required to decontaminate depends on the type of decontamination. On new cars, the culprit is almost always rail dust/industrial fallout. I would start with a wheel cleaner to dissolve any iron, rinse, strip wash, rinse, then clay, wash and rinse, then glass polish, wash and rinse, dry, then seal. The sealant will last for MUCH longer as well, provided you follow standard paint protection maintenance (don't use harsh chemicals to wash). I have had glass sealant last for as long as 2 months on freshly decontaminated glass.

Inside glass can usually be decontaminated using any organic-based soap. Dish soap is commonly used. I have also had very good luck using diluted Adam's Car Shampoo in distilled water. Inside glass can be sealed and I recommend it after decontamination as it makes subsequent cleaning that much faster and easier.

As to the question about why inside glass gets so dirty so quickly...well it's a dirty topic. Off-gassing, environmental factors such as sunlight and ambient temperatures, poor HVAC filtering, rolling down windows, and most notably, the occupants, all contribute to dirty automobile interiors and glass.

Human beings, as it turns out, are filthy creatures. We shed skin, we perspire, we breathe and cough, and we sneeze. All normal functions, but each of these functions plays a role in how quickly your inside glass (and every other surface) gets contaminated. The oils and moisture we expel from our bodies adhere to the interior surfaces and glass very well. These contaminants build up until we notice them and try to clean the glass. In my daily driver, it takes about a week before I notice the cloudiness in my interior glass. Yeah, like I said. FILTHY, we are!

The new Adams Glass Towels are certainly effective. But they are most effective when the same mentality is applied to glass maintenance as is taken with paint maintenance. Right tool, right chemical, right process, and your glass will come out perfect every time.

Edited for clarity.

Great Information!

Thanks!

Thought I would leave my feedback on the new glass towels...

I never got to use the old blue ones so I can't compare, but the new green ones work perfect for me and I don't wash them first.

Are a lot of you sealing your interior glass? And if so does it do anything for fogging?

A while ago I asked the Adam's team about sealing interior glass and they did not recommend it as it may cause issues with the defroster system.  Never tried it though, so can't say for sure if it causes issues.

Edited by avimore

A while ago I asked the Adam's team about sealing interior glass and they did not recommend it as it may cause issues with the defroster system.  Never tried it though, so can't say for sure if it causes issues.

If you encounter severely foggy windows, you could get water beading and condensation running down the inside of your glass. I've never had this issue, but it's worth noting.

I have managed to get the inside of the windows with enough condensate to cause that issue......nuff said. Wished I knew about Adams then! would have made cleaning the glass much easier, I made a mess out of it with napkins that were in the center console.