Customer Service 866.965.0400

Uses for Each Microfiber Towel

Focus_Red

Question

With all the amazing Microfiber towels that Adams makes, I was curious what the best uses for each one was. Obviously a few are self explanatory but for the others:

Single Soft

Double Soft

Triple Soft

Borderless Gray/Orange

Blue Plush Waffle

Edgeless Gray Utility

Self Explanatory:

Great White Drying

Green Glass Cleaning

Microfiber Waterless Wash

I apologize if this info exists somewhere on these forums already. I searched but couldn't find it.

8 answers to this question

I'm sure it's different for everybody, but here's my designations. I make sure not to cross my towels between the wheels and paint.

Single Soft - designated to my wheels only - dry, buff off LPS, buff off HGG, etc. 
Double Soft - buff off RHP, Buttery Wax, or Brilliant Glaze
Triple Soft - buff off Patriot Wax
Borderless Gray - for HGG applications only 

Orange Plush - when using orange detail spray only
Blue Plush Waffle - when wiping down interior with Interior Detailer
Edgeless Gray Utility - my version of a washable shop towel

It has been asked in other threads before but is always worth asking about. 

Single soft - Wax removal, general cleaning and wipe downs, rinseless washing, interior buffing on occasion, glass in a pinch 

Double Soft - I will use this primarily for for wax removal and wipe downs

Triple soft - personally have not used yet, but would do the same its just much plusher. 

Borderless grey/orange - I use these for rinseless as well, glass, H2O GG (grey only), wax removal, VRT wipe ups, I do use these for detail spray on the interior of a vehicle if I am just wanting the scent on the plastics. Really one of my go to all around towels. 

Blue Waffle - Glass, Waterless, Rinseless (not my first choice), VRT wipe off. 

Grey Utility - All my interior scrubbing needs such as seats, plastics, dash, basically anything with interior cleaner or carpet cleaner if im not using the cockpit brush. 

Again these are what I use them for not any official list. Some towels certainly work better for other tasks which Adam does go over in the latest video series. 

I know I've read a few posts about how people use towels on random threads, and I know how annoying it is seeing the same questions asked over and over, but I very much appreciate the responses. To be honest, I'm relatively new to taking detailing seriously. I've always loved a clean car, however never knew how much there was to it until last year. I got a detail done on my car and was shown how to properly maintain it. It was all downhill from there.

I know there isn't necessarily a right or wrong way to really use the towels, I just like seeing how people use them. Especially people who have been at this far longer than I have. That way I can learn how to be utilize everything.

What pirahnah3 said about the Grey Utility. The texture of the Grey Utility makes it very useful for anything that needs "scrubbing". I also use them for "dirty work" such when a door jam is particularly grubby, wheels/brake calipers...

Between the previous Single Soft/Double Soft, a folded single soft works better for me removing LPS and wax. The folded Double Soft is just too thick for me to apply concentrated pressure, when needed, to remove residue. I greatly prefer single soft (and folded Waterless Towels) for "Garry Dean" bucket washes...the Double Soft simply soaks up too much product. For Quick Detail, Double Soft is my favorite...LOVE the feel of that towel! 

I dedicate Borderless Grey to HG&G. 

I use Blue Waterless Towels for, well...Waterless!  Also use them for Rinseless, and as a drying towel when drying smaller vehicles (personal watercraft, all terrain vehicle, snowmobile...)

It's interesting that you guys tend to use the borderless gray for G&G. I tend to apply it on the wet car after washing and then use my drying towels to rub it in. Now this does mean the towels are stained but that doesn't bother me. Wonder if I should (now that I have a blaster sidekick) blow off the heavy water, then use the borderless to apply the G&G on the damp car.

the borderless gray/orange is probably my favorite towel and can be used for so many things. Rinseless, H2OGG, drying wheels, detail spray, and wax/sealant buffing. I have a set of them that are just used for H20GG, and it is important to wash them by hand imo to not cross contaminate the other towels with H2OGG as it will make the towels repel water. 

Single softs I like for Wax and Liquid Paint Sealant Removal, as well as detail spray.

Double softs I reserve for Brilliant Glaze

Triple soft I have yet to use other than to feel the plushness against my face lol.

Waterless wash waffle weave towel is great for glass aside from it's intended use.

Grey utility is good for door jambs that need a bit more scrub, interior use for grimey areas, plastic trim to knock down VRT, and drying the engine bay.

I don't have the Blue Plush Waffle, but looks like it could be good for wheels and door jams where you are looking to be a bit more gentle than the Grey Utility towel.

Really the best way to find out what towels you need is to get a wash process down that works for you and integrate the towels where needed. 

I'm sure some people use a few of every towel when washing and others probably only use 1 or 2 different types of towels. 

It's interesting that you guys tend to use the borderless gray for G&G. I tend to apply it on the wet car after washing and then use my drying towels to rub it in. Now this does mean the towels are stained but that doesn't bother me. Wonder if I should (now that I have a blaster sidekick) blow off the heavy water, then use the borderless to apply the G&G on the damp car.

Yes they stain the towels, and IMO G&G towels need to be washed separately (ideally by hand). When you go to use the drying towel to dry the car without G&G it will not want to absorb the water.

You could use the sidekick to blow out the nooks and crannies of the car but ideally you want to leave the car wet and won't want to reapply water for the wet method. Plus the time used for the sidekick will only allow water to dry on the paint.