Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing Chrome Wheels

scott750

Question

I got a flat tire repaired and the shop put some light scratches in one of my chrome wheels. Not deep enough for my fingernail to catch, they are fairly light. Can these be buffed out with Adam's Metal polish #1 or #2?

20161010_172433_zpskgjx2qdb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Chrome is a metal coating.  You can use Metal Polish #1 and #2 if it is real chrome, but unlike other metals you should not see any black/gray residue transferring to the towel. The only residue that should transfer is brake dust and dirt. 

Chrome can be very soft, you should be able to smooth out the scratches and hide them well, but removing them completely may be difficult.

The metal polish twins are one of my favorite Adam's products.

20195694369_aecab272ed_b.jpg

I'd have the shop fix it!

That would be ideal, but the only way to completely fix it is have the wheel re-chromed, or replaced. If the op left the shop without mentioning the scratches to a manager, or wihtout proof they put the scratches there they more than likely will not do anything.

Chrome is a metal coating. You can use Metal Polish #1 and #2 if it is real chrome, but unlike other metals you should not see any black/gray residue transferring to the towel. The only residue that should transfer is brake dust and dirt.

Chrome can be very soft, you should be able to smooth out the scratches and hide them well, but removing them completely may be difficult.

The metal polish twins are one of my favorite Adam's products.

20195694369_aecab272ed_b.jpg

I assume it's real chrome. The wheels is solid, not some plated crap. Thanks for the tips when polishing! I'll give it a try.

I'd have the shop fix it!

If I would have noticed the scratches before leaving I definitely would have said something. But it was all covered with the tire goo they use when installing new tires until I washed the rim at home. It was Discount Tire I went to. Usually they have been very good with taking care not to scratches my rums in the past. Maybe because this time I dropped it off instead of waiting for it like I normally do.

I assume it's real chrome. The wheels is solid, not some plated crap. Thanks for the tips when polishing! I'll give it a try.

Now I'm confused...easily done BTW. 

What do you mean by "wheel is solid, not plated..."? Wouldn't real chrome be plated?

Now I'm confused...easily done BTW. 

What do you mean by "wheel is solid, not plated..."? Wouldn't real chrome be plated?

Yes, real chrome is plated. I think he was trying to refer to the various look a like chrome finishes that are not true chromium plated metal, or plastic clear coated chrome.