Customer Service 866.965.0400

What's a good price

Mytundra

Question

Since getting my kit even though I haven't even detailed my own truck yet I have had several friends come to me saying they want me to do to their car. My question is what would be a good price for a full detail inside and out and then also polishing the car including all the steps all the way down to strip washing and clay bar? I know years ago I had a mobile detailer come to my house from my old truck and charge me $250 and I was not impressed at all thankd . Thanks in advance

Edited by Mytundra

4 answers to this question

First of all, you need to define "full detail".  Once you determine that, examine the vehicle and plan the necessary steps to achieve your goal, or in this case, the customers goal.  

I know that's a very vague answer, but unless you want to end up working for about 5.00 per hour, you need to have a plan before you start.  I don't give any pricing over the phone nor do anything flat rate until I see the vehicle in person.

Ditto above on coming up with a plan. Are you new to detailing? I am, and it was a good 1-2 days of work, and I didn't even do "everything." I did what I consider the basics for a DD: strip washed, VRT'd, clayed, polished, sealed, and did the whole inside, not to mention drying, wheels, etc. As much as I like the idea of experimenting on other cars before yours (I did my son's first!), I recommend you start with yours first, top to bottom, see what it took including supplies, and figure out what you'd be happy with. That way you're happy, and your friends, theoretically, would be, too.

Putting it another way, the price you charge, in my mind, comes down to how much you value your time (or like your friends!). Also, realize you could go through a significant portion of your products, some more than others if extra care is needed, per car. You should take that into account and factor it into the cost to replenish your supply, or you could be stuck with a swirly/dull car and no supplies while your friends drive off in style.

Finally, one way I've seen to measure the products equitably is buy a small scale, weigh each product before and after you do the work, and divide the cost/oz. Nobody can argue, and you get fairly compensated to further fuel the addiction!

Good luck.

Edited by falcaineer

I know about 10 years ago I paid someone 250 to "buff" my lightning . After seeing the results i wasn't impressed at all. That's when I went out and bought my first adams kit and did it myself with great results. I'm talking about detailing DD here not show cars (unless that opportunity came up).I'm talking prices for just average condition vehicles. Swirl marks....Light scratches...etc . As far as the inside...a good vacuum, interior detail wipeople's down, using in and out, and leather cleaner and conditioner if need be. Just trying to get a ballpark number. Like I said I paid 250 but that was 10 years ago and I wasn't impressed at all

I was going to try to get my truck knocked out today but i have to leave for work at 6 tonight and I know I won't have enough time to do the outside so I'll probably do it tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be nice