Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polisher

SS LeadFoot

Question

So I have never owned a polisher and have never used one before. I want a machine that will take care of swirls a minor scratches. I was originally thinking of getting the Cyclo but now with the swirl killer I was thinking that. Anyone recommend anything for someone who will only use it for swirls and light scratches?

11 answers to this question

Get yourself something that will be more than what you think you may need, as you may wish you had bought something that is more than what you got. 

Buying a tool that may cost a little bit more now, will save you money in the future as you're not buying another tool on top of the one you bought previously.  

Hope that makes sense, and helps.  Have a great day and Happy Thanksgiving.

The SKP will take care of swirls and light scratches easily, and can also correct more serious damage.

However, since it uses 5.5" pads, you will find some difficulty getting into tighter areas, or polishing narrow areas like the door pillars.  This is where the Cyclo has an slight advantage, in that you can run it sideways up a narrow area, since it uses 4" pads.  For tight spots or areas like painted mirror caps, both machines are too big.

Another option when using a long-throw polisher is to have a second machine that uses 4" pads to use for the ~10% of the time it would be needed.  You can convert the Porter Cable 7424XP to use 4" pads, and use it in conjunction with the larger polisher.

I love my cyclo. It's the smoothest polisher out there and with the two 4" pads it can get into alot of tight spaces a 6"pad cannot. The cyclo makes a good one polisher solution and can also run scrub brushes for dual duty . It's all metal construction is built to last and made in the USA.

Edited by PostalTwo

Check out this thread http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28734-cyclo-model-5-or-rupes-bigfoot-15mm/the swirl killer is similar to the lhr15es talked about in this thread. The difference being that the rupes will cost about 50 to 70 bucks more and it's made in the USA. Back then adams sold this tool as well so things we not as biased as they are today .

Check out this thread http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/28734-cyclo-model-5-or-rupes-bigfoot-15mm/the swirl killer is similar to the lhr15es talked about in this thread. The difference being that the rupes will cost about 50 to 70 bucks more and it's made in the USA. Back then adams sold this tool as well so things we not as biased as they are today .

I believe it is actually made in Italy.  Not the USA.  

Rupes ES tools are now manufactured here - my November made 21ES says Made in USA of EU components on it - not "foreign components" - 

Go with the Rupes - the ES tools are still sold and great machines if you don't have the money for the MarkII (and not everyone needs a MarkII either)

I don't have a swirl killer, but it looks to be the best combination of price and performance. I have a PC and already feel like Im ready to move on. Got myself a Rupes mini for Xmas, so maybe in a few months I'll step up to the Bigfoot MkII.